Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Clipper Fog light switch removal from center chrome panel
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Rscott77x wrote:
Dear Howard,
How do I remove a switch from the chrome panel above the radio?
Does the radio have to be removed? My rear courtesy lamps do not come on unless the fog light are on. The car was rewired and I think a minor "miswire" happened.
I think All I have to do to correct the courtesy lights being hooked up to the fog lights is to move the wire to the hot side of the fog light switch.
The switches can be removed with the radio in place but depending on what you need to do, access in pulling the switch and wire loom out away from the casting to work may be hindered with the radio in place. The loom goes over and may even be slightly in front of radio and is also probably going to be stiff.
Response from Howard:
To remove the switches, pull the knob all the way out. On the bottom is an allen setscrew which can be loosened to remove the knob from the shaft. Sometimes the knob below the one being worked on interferes with a good angle for inserting the allen wrench in the setscrew so if you have ball end allens it sometimes helps. Once the knob is off the shaft use a 1/2" deep socket or nut driver which can go over the shaft to reach in and unscrew the nut holding the switch to the casting. The socket or nut driver will not have much height clearance around the nut so thinner the wall the better. All switches mount the same but the map light and cigar lighter are a bit different.

There is a schematic of the courtesy lights which I posted over at the PAC forum.http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3806

Wiring can be done several ways but it does sound like yours is coming off the wrong place. You can either use the body feed fuse at rear of headlight switch to power the lamps if you want them on at any time or if you only want them on when headlights are on then they can be powered off the fuse feeding the tail light circuit which would be the feed coming off the rear of the instrument lamp switch. Which ever you use make sure the fuse is large enough since the cigarette lighter on front seat back comes off the same feed. Not sure which overall wiring diagram you have but there is one on sitehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1947_21stSeriesWireDiagram.pdf which was partially colored by another poster making it a bit easier to follow.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.69 KB)
74962_566da036f192f.jpg 300X232 px

jpg  (2.84 KB)
74962_566da0d1dbc79.jpg 66X300 px

Posted on: 2015/12/13 11:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved