Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 143

Ozstatman, Packard Don, DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

WHY THE NONSENCE ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
These forums are often a fantastic source of great info. I might otherwise never have found on my own.

One example is one of you guys (thanks, whoever you are!) noted in here about the Univ. of Michigan/Detroit Public Library Packard photo collections are now avail. to us with just the "click" of our mices....! (meese ?)

But here's the problem. A very human condition is wanting to sound authoritive. My prejudice is the younger generations are even less restrained, less reluctant to stick their noses where they havnt been educated, than we older people, to whom accuracy and integrity have some value...? ? ?

While browsing thru the fantastic collection of photos, I came upon one (IMAGE ITEM EB01e824) which shows a bunch of new ZIS 110's. SOMEONE felt the urge to tell us how much he knows about these "Russian Packards". Repeats the nonsence that "PACKARD SENIOR DIES SOLD TO USSR BY U.S. GOVERNMENT URGING..."

At my age, I should no longer be surprised that the human condition includes, way too often, a burning desire to say something, ANYTHING, to sound important.

Those of you with at least the intelligence of a sand flea recognizes this "Russian Packard" crap as absolute nonsence.

Of course Packard HAD NO DIES TO SELL. Chassis/frames were purchased from the major frame supplier A.O. Smith. Zimac/"pot metal" fittings, door hardware, latches, etc., brakes, bearings, carbuerators, ignition systems, radiators, and starting in the late 1930, the entire body of the car, all purchased from UNRELATED OUTSIDE SUPPLIERS.

Never mind the fact that Russia is on the EUROPEAN continent, using METRIC measurements.

Never mind the fact that dies are hardened steel - kind of hard to bend em into changed shapes....!

But, what the heck - even in our own forum someone decided they wanted to say that "1938 PACKARD SUPER EIGHT AND TWELVE SHARED THE SAME CHASSIS...."

The issue of the ZIS is, of course, well-described elsewhere in this forum, by some apparently knowledgeable guys.

What I am trying to point out here, is, as we speed away from the period that Packard existed, with more and more generations of smart-mouths wanting to say something...ANYTHING to sound important.....I STRONGLY recommend you dont "drop your guard"...be suspicous of ANY "self styled expert" who 1) wasnt actually "there"...and 2) probaby wouldn't know which end of a screw-driver he or she sat on....!

Now...back to those mini-dresses...

Posted on: 2008/11/2 12:16
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Re: WHY THE NONSENCE ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Jane Haddam said this;
People always seemed to know half of history, and to get it confused with the other half.

Posted on: 2008/11/2 13:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never mind the fact that Russia is on the EUROPEAN continent, using METRIC measurements.

According to my friend in Sweden who owns two ZIS-110s and is actively restoring one, they use a mixture of metric and U.S. measurement systems.

EDIT: There are some copies of original ZIS engineering drawings just a few miles from me, I'll try to get a chance to view them and see if I can determine anything about the measurement system(s).

Posted on: 2008/11/2 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Peter: Talking about this younger generation and thier knowlegde of this hobby. I bet my grandson at 19 years old
would give you a good run for your money when it comes to talking about automotive history.

Don't sell the so-called younger generation short and what they know concerning this hobby

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/2 21:42
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Jane Haddam said this;
People always seemed to know half of history, and to get it confused with the other half.

Perfect when it comes to "Packard Twelve Fan".

Craig

Posted on: 2008/11/2 21:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I was born in 1976, I'm only 31 years old but I remember when the 1938 Packards came out. I remember walking my dog past the local Packard/Honda dealership and asked the fella unloading the new Packards "Hey Mr.,isn't the 1938 PACKARD SUPER EIGHT AND TWELVE built on the same chassis?". He told me it sure was, because when "Mr. Packard bolted the four cylinder engine onto the front of the new Packard V-8...you know, to make it a 12 cylinder they didn't need to make a longer frame because the 4 cylinder engine was a Front wheel drive and turned sideways which left room for the transaxles."

Didn't President Teddy Roosevelt drive one of these Packard V-12s? Or was it Zachary Taylor. Oh well, I'm going to go back out to the garage and work on my '55 400....Did you know the '55 390 engine was the first car ever made with factory fuel injection and a McCullough Turbocharger?

If you need anymore help with History Packard Twelve Fan just ask me....I'm a young auto historian who will keep the "Packard Hope Alive" long after your gone.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 0:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Did you know the '55 390 engine was the first car ever made with factory fuel injection and a McCullough Turbocharger?

Ahh youth, and their misconceptions about history. This is where things get confused, and if I don't step in with my "elder" knowledge, things might get confused even more. It's McCullough SUPERCHARGER!

BTW, I was born in 1975, LMAO!

Posted on: 2008/11/3 1:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Oh, and here's one other thing from a "wasn't there" youngster. It's NONSENSE, not nonsenCe! Good God, you'd think you old people could spell!

Posted on: 2008/11/3 1:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
The younger generation were not there back when Packard was a house hold name, but thanks to books such as that written by Beverley Rae Kimes and other we can learn about the history.

If we discourage the involvement of younger generations in Packards they will loose interest in these cars. Personally when I began looking at vintage cars I spoke to guys in model A clubs, chev clubs etc but none seemed to want to talk to a 16yr old kid, but when I contacted an Australian Packard member he made me feel welcome and invited me to the club, and everyone in the Australian club has been so welcoming and helpful. You don't find that in many clubs. This little story shows that we should accept the younger members and realise there knowledge may not be as good as the older generation and should assist them and correct their mistakes. I know I have found out allot about the cars and the company from asking different people. That is the only way we learn.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 2:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
If we discourage the involvement of younger generations in Packards they will loose interest in these cars. Personally when I began looking at vintage cars I spoke to guys in model A clubs, chev clubs etc but none seemed to want to talk to a 16yr old kid, but when I contacted an Australian Packard member he made me feel welcome and invited me to the club, and everyone in the Australian club has been so welcoming and helpful. You don't find that in many clubs. This little story shows that we should accept the younger members and realise there knowledge may not be as good as the older generation and should assist them and correct their mistakes. I know I have found out allot about the cars and the company from asking different people. That is the only way we learn.

Now if us younger guys could talk the older guys into leaving their cars to us in their wills, we'd all be better for it!

Posted on: 2008/11/3 3:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved