Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 235

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rough running 1937 115-c
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David rose
See User information
My 37 seems to be rough running or has a viberation at medium rpm . The distributor rebuilt, compression is 115 + - 3 lbs, valves adjusted were ok, vacuum 18" and steady, oil pressure 32-35 psi. Timing at 4 btdc . No knocks in motor ? . Would a harmonic balancer do this ? . Another thing the clutch was replaced by a previous owner of this car and I discovered that a spring was missing in the clutch disc. It was a rebuilt disc with little ware on the lining but the spring holder had broken out and the spring was gone, removed by previous owner and cover replaced. 😟 . So my disc core is no good , but my throw out bearing and holder are real good as the pressure plate also is good. New or rebuilt ? I now have installed a new disc hoping this was my shake , but it was not ! . More surching I think that my bearing holder and bearing fit a 1939 120 the reasion I think this is 1938 120 owners manual pg 18 tells that the clutch shifter bearing holder has a oil hole in the top of it. That is what I have . Now could my flywheel and assembly from a 120 ? ,.throwing it out of balance ? Are thay interchangeable or what part years fit. I have also installed new motor mounts , Any ideas and help thanks Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/18 11:52
Learnig
 Top  Print   

Re: Rough running 1937 115-c
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Are the front and rear motor mounts replaced? The front is the rubber "sandwich" on the motor, the rears are vulcanized rubber and can be rebuilt.

With regards to the clutch parts, I would imagine there is a lot of interchange, and I would use the parts list on this site to determine if the parts are interchangeable.

The harmonic dampener could certainly be bad- inspect the rubber between the inner hub and outer shell. If it is missing large pieces, oozing out, etc. it would certainly behoove you to rebuild it.

When you replaced the clutch disc, did you inspect the pilot bearing as well? Is the new clutch disc properly aligned?

Posted on: 2016/1/18 20:45
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved