Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: OD for 39 Six
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Ken P & Ken P,
I think I am the guy HH was talking about when he referred to a member having put an R9 into a 39 Six.

At the time, I had searched for an R6, but could not find one. After learning all about the Packard overdrive applications from many long time Packard people, I found an R9 with all the components to install in my Six Sedan.

The only frame modification was to extend an existing hole in the X frame to accommodate the Solenoid. The overdrive equipped 39 Sixes used the larger Ujoint that was standard on the 120's. Fortunately, I found an original 39 driveshaft, but I would suggest considering whether you'd want to shorten the existing, smaller Ujoint original. I expect the engineers suspected the higher speed at torque would require a larger diameter tube and ujoint.

The installation of either an R9 or R11 are tight in the 39, but no more so than the original installation of an R6 in 39, or an R9 in 40.

As other posts on this site will state, the electrical aspects of an R11 are simpler, and there are several reverse lockout features the R11 achieves mechanically as opposed to electrically as per the R9.

For those who wish to add an OD to an originally floor shift equipped car, Peter Toet of Australia has documented how to replace the column shift top cover with a floor shift cover with a very minimal change to the column shift transmission case. His process is somewhere on this site.
Hope this helps.
Pat

Posted on: 2016/3/28 19:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ken_Parkman
See User information
Thanks Pat - that's some good information. I did not know about the drive shaft - thanks.

I do really like the idea of the R11. Dad already has 2 R10 cars, and he also has some of the electrical parts.

Terrific help, now to source one!

Posted on: 2016/4/1 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, The R10 box will NOT fit a packard. It was used mainly on Studebakers and is very different dimensionally to an R6, R9 and R11 overdrive unit. i have some R10 bits if anyone needs them. PT

Posted on: 2016/4/2 4:48
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved