Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 255

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Round bolt in a square hole???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The picture is of part 3.116 and 3.127 of a LWB Limo 2150.

I am trying to reassemble it but can not figure out the square holes.

Is it something special with bolt 3.1162 and 3.1275? If so ,how do they look? (The car was disassembled about 20 years ago and not by me)

Attach file:

jpg  (36.34 KB)
86286_56fed101a9d80.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/4/1 14:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Round bolt in a square hole???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bolts on the relay lever are similar to shoulder screws with the shoulder diameter fitting the narrow portion of the rectangle. The depth of the shoulder is slightly greater than the width of the bars. If the original bolts are not found you could duplicate them by using a bit of round stock in the dimension needed to leave a tiny bit of clearance to the narrow rectangle dimension. Drill a hole thru the round stock and make a sleeve to fit over a regular bolt just wide enough to allow for the bar and the washers.

Both sides mount about the same There is a flat steel washer which goes between the bolt head and bar and another thin spring type flat washer that goes between the bar and relay lever to keep vibration to a minimum. Believe threads are 5/16 and bolts screw into relay lever so the shoulder is flush against the lever. A nut goes also on the bolt to lock it all down tightly.

On the long bar with long slot, the small square goes on the clutch pedal end and that bolt is the same shoulder setup but in addition has a narrow section with a groove on the end of the head for the pedal return spring. The long slot end goes on the relay lever and mounts with the same shoulder bolt and washer setup. The purpose of the long slot is to allow the Electromatic Clutch to work the relay lever, moving the bolt in the slot instead of moving the entire bar. With the bar not moving the pedal return spring keeps the pedal from going to the floor when the Electromatic is active.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.66 KB)
209_56fede5e9a97c.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (147.56 KB)
209_56fede6c17ebc.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (137.16 KB)
209_56fede7a121c7.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (42.63 KB)
209_56fee1671828f.jpg 800X721 px

Posted on: 2016/4/1 15:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Round bolt in a square hole???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thank You very much for the answer. I can not find the words to tell how much I appreciate that You took the time and effort to take pictures too.
I have good hope to be able to restore this car by the help of people like You.

It is my first car restoration, I have restored several motorcycles and built Hot-Rod type of cars before.

(Some of my motorcycle restorations can be seen on www.youtube.com/channel/UC0lweV6Vy-DZWdB8V_pYAHQ

Posted on: 2016/4/2 3:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved