Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 140

Packard Don, humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, DavidM, packardbill, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission Swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Before committing to a Bendtsen adapter for a 55 400, I would like to learn how many hours a shade tree mechanic would be apt to spend in making the swap. I have a competent mechanic who will actually do the work, but he is gun-shy on the hours involved.

Both the 700R4 and 200R4 have been mentioned as good alternatives to the Ultramatic. What is the difference in the two transmissions? Are both overdrive? Is there a significant difference in overhaul costs?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bernardi

Posted on: 2016/4/6 14:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission Swap
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Constellation
See User information
My thoughts at the moment are incomplete. I've looked at all the adapter options and the bendtsen seems to be the best one at the moment if your not looking to go with a computerized trans. I'm looking at the newer 4l65E with the removable bellhousing as the ultramatic has a removable bellhousing a pair of adapter on from trans to bell and bell to engine should do it. of course either a redrilled or built flex plate. and a either a TCI or MSD trans controller. that's the idea I'm exploring right now. for stand alone. I think the ultimate goal with mine is the 4l65E hooked to the 352 with F.A.S.T. controller and port fuel injection.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
55Constellation Quote:
...352 with F.A.S.T. controller and port fuel injection.

Well, since no one to my knowledge has done one on a Packard V-8, this ought to be an interesting pioneering project. Usually a F.I. adaption like this requires you to bring your fat wallet even if you can do the majority of work yourself.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/4/6 17:28
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Constellation
See User information
really not a horribly hard conversion now. the FAST controller will set me back 1500. run an intake pump with a phantom a corvette regulator/filter 8 Vortec chevy injectors fuel rail and the air door from a 4.3 pick up and all the sensors. fairly easy from the engineering stand point it's just a matter of tossing 2500.00 at it. worked on my 400 Edsel and that was running a megasquirt.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Okay then. Keep us informed when you start the project!

Craig

Posted on: 2016/4/6 19:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I had the Bendtsens transmission conversion done two years ago and the difference is AMAZING the car had more go and better gas mileage then it ever did before. I had the 700r tranny put in; it has worked fine with no problems.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 22:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
EFI on a Packard V8 is very simple with the EZ EFI kit. 2k or so and you got bolt on EFI. I'm going to do it with the 2x4 intake I have as EZ EFI has a setup that you can run dual quads. All the EFI kits now are pretty much self contained.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 23:07
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Constellation
See User information
Amen Brother.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 21:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved