Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Disc pad problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I'm posting this is in "General" because there are now front disc brake conversions available for several post war Packards. Back in 2001, I installed a custom engineered front disc brake conversion on my 1955 Patrician. It has never given me any problem until recently when I decided to replaced the pads with new ones from NAPA, "just because" it had been 15 years. There was not actually anything wrong with the existing pads as they were only about 1/2 worn and showed no negative signs.

I went to my local NAPA store and bought new pads for a 1975 Chevy Impala which matched the discs that I used in my custom conversion. So far so good.

About 1 month later the right front brake started making funny scraping noises with an occasion groan. I pulled the pads out and the "anti-rattle" plate on the outside pad had broken loose and was hanging caught between the caliper holding bolts. I modified it to eliminate the noise, chalking the failure to "sometimes stuff happens", after all it was a top-of-the-line NAPA part.

About 2 weeks after the above, the left front started making the same kind of noise, but worse with a resonant "groaning" on certain low-speed turns while turning. Again, I removed that wheel and the failure was the same: the anti-rattle plate had broken loose from the pad and was trapped between the holding bolts.

I removed both "new" pads and replaced them with the "old" pads which were only 1/2 worn. Problem solved completly.

I returned the broken pads to NAPA and got my $ back. But, I suspect that NAPA has outsourced their brand name disc pads to China or somewhere, because I'm sure it was a design or manufacturing defect, not a QA problem on one pad.

FYI

Craig

Posted on: 2016/7/4 13:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Disc pad problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Been there. Welcome to keeping old cars on the road!

Posted on: 2016/7/4 14:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Disc pad problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As far as I know NAPA is a marketing company only and has no manufacturing facilities. It is easy enough to find out where the pads or other parts are made as the packaging must state so on it.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 14:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved