Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 185

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

torsion level gear box rubber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i need to know if there is a generic x-ref. for group 15.931.

i am rebuilding the gear box for the torsion suspension and i need those rubber pieces and don't want to buy from max until i am ready to buy the whole lot for the frame.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/11/21 9:41
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: torsion level gear box rubber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In looking at part #445848, I see no reference to the 50.xxx section where you might see the dimensions of the seal. Careful measurement of either existing seal may give you enough info to purchase a generic one.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 10:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah it is pretty much flat and the one in the picture looks kind like a tall o ring.....mine are just flat and may have been replaced before with the wrong ones or they are just old.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 10:30
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you can get your local auto parts store to give you an old catalog from Chicago Rawhide or National, they usually have a listing in the back by seal OD, ID, width, and style of sealing lip. This is a really handy item to have and it lets you find your current seal numbers just from the dimensions of either the old seal, or from the hub it fits into and the shaft diameter.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Owen,

I've noticed that the only parts houses left where you can get any competent assistance at all are the ones with old, grey-headed guys still working there that have a stash of, "outdated," catalogues. Most of 'em will take a shot at anyone who tries to relieve them of any of their, "outdated," catalogues or parts books. This, "outdated," literature is why they - and only they - can find stuff that WE need.

Within the past several years, I've developed a habit of just turning around and walking out of any parts store that I go in where some kid standing in front of a computer terminal wants to know, "what kind of car did it come off of?"

Posted on: 2008/11/21 13:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hurrah for old, grey-headed guys!

Posted on: 2008/11/21 13:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Hurrah for old, grey-headed guys!

Well not only old, grey-haired guys are helpful. At a local auto supply I frequent which is now owned by NAPA there are three young women (two blondes and one brunette) who really go beyond the call of duty to help me locate my Packard parts. On more than one occasion they have taken two or more days before they find an answer or a part but they most always come through and locate what I need. Is it my good looks and charm that makes them so helpful?

Posted on: 2008/11/21 13:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You just keep telling yourself that. It's nice to feel good about oneself.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
When I was working in the auto parts business up to two years ago I knew where to find parts for obsolete cars, and where the books were to find them in. Heck, I STILL have old customers calling me and asking me where to find parts for their cars, and I haven't been in an auto parts job in almost two years!

Posted on: 2008/11/21 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
My company specializes in 1958-66 T-birds, so the newest parts catalog I deal with was printed 10 years before I was born! Its pretty funny sometimes. I have dealt with some of my customers for 10 years now over the phone. Every time I meet one of them for the first time, they ask for me, I tell them "Yeah, thats me". They get this funny look on their faces and say "I thought you were older than I was!"

Sometimes the young folks will surprise you. (sometimes they live up to expectations too. I'm disapointed in my generation. I think I was born 40 years too late.)

Posted on: 2008/11/21 21:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved