Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

Mark Graber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

sterring wheel removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
On a 56 clipper I have a horn that blows when the wheel is turned to the 3 oclock and 9 oclock positions ,i have disconected the horn relay but would like to permanently fix the problem .Is there a place to pry the horn off to limit damage and is there a known fix other than to hunt and peck at the contacts untill i figure it out ? thank you for your help i see no notes in the forum or in the manual

Posted on: 2016/9/20 22:03
 Top  Print   

Re: sterring wheel removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will have to remove the wheel. Start by prying the emblem out. Be very gentle when you do this. The emblem is held by friction between an O ring which fits in a groove around the emblem and the sides of the recess in the horn ring. There is a sponge rubber cushion under the emblem and I have seen many where the rubber in the O ring or the rubber cushion has deteriorated and turned in to a gooey mess that will almost act like glue. The plastic emblem is very easily chipped if much force is put on it -- although if it happens it may not be as noticeable on the Clipper emblem as it is on the clear Packard emblem. Once the emblem is off you can unscrew the nut and use a wheel puller to remove the wheel.

I am working with a feeble memory on the actual electrical path and it has been awhile but if I am correct, under the wheel is the horn contact plate which is attached to the upper part of the ring you push. The plate gets ground thru the steering shaft, wheel hub, a spring, and the upper part of the horn ring. I believe that contact plate is pushed down or away from the wheel when the horn button is pushed and makes contact with another piece of metal which is clamped around a nylon or plastic support in the space below the wheel. The wire to the horn relay comes off that clamped on metal piece and the plastic acts as an insulator to keep it from touching any other ground.

I have seen several cars where the plastic support has deformed or broken allowing the clamped metal piece to tilt or become loose. That would be the first thing to check. There are also some screws and spacers inside the wheel ring assy which holds the various parts of the assy in a way so the contact plate can move. One of those could have broken or loosened allowing the contact plate to get out of line or too close to the clamped piece so gravity or a slight shift in the ring when turning the wheel allows them to touch.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.07 KB)
209_57e2a54e7581f.jpg 1294X648 px

Posted on: 2016/9/21 10:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: sterring wheel removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
thank you this is exactly what i needed

Posted on: 2016/9/22 11:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved