Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 113

Ozstatman, Don B, Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '55 Pat Brake Light Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Thanks Randy for your input. I'd seen this mod in the past and recall having seriously liked it but, at the time, was occupied with other major issues and elected to do what was fastest at the time and simply change the connectors and install the Volkswagen switch. The details got filed in the dark recesses of my semi-retired (or is that retarded?), ex-military mind and were lost in the clutter. I have saved HH56's diagram with P/N for the GM switch to a PDF file and it's in my, "To Do As Soon As I Have Time," folder.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Posted on: 2008/11/27 9:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It strikes me as a lot easier to just buy the VW switch and convert the wire ends to spade connectors. Or just buy the whole kit, hydraulic switch a little harness to change the connectors, from one of the Packard suppliers. The VW switch is apparently far more tolerant of silicone brake fluid that the original Wagner-Lockheed switch.

Posted on: 2008/11/27 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Guess that all switches are not created equal. Pulled the Napa one today, installed the one (that I KNEW that I had around here somewhere) out of the Wells box. Now have brake lights and car levels itself normally after brake is released.

Posted on: 2008/11/28 18:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad you're back in business. Now if I could only get the Caribbean out of the driveway and back into the garage, I'm parked nose-down on my downhill driveway and have the "stuck in park" syndrome. At least there's no snow predicted for tomorrow.

Posted on: 2008/11/28 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
I too have a fairly well sloped driveway but could usually rock the Pat out of Park when it was doing that. Again, when we fixed it, was not aware of improved parts from Ultramatic Dynamics and my mechanic (at the time) made a parking paul mechanism which I do not entirely trust, yet - although it seems to work when I use it. Got in the habit of parking the car in neutral with the emergency brake engaged while it was giving me trouble and have never gotten entirely used to using park again.

Posted on: 2008/11/29 0:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved