Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Parts Sources & Interchanges
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Someone asked where I have found parts earlier. I assume it is common knowledge that early Chrysler 318 lifters fit? As it is that early GM 350 rings fit?

A modern, neoprene, rear-main seal made by FelPro (#BS 40613) will replace the pesky (repro) rope seal that is currently about all that's available to replace the OEM seal. The OEM ones are great, when you can find them, but the repro ones only last 10-15,000 miles before coming apart. When either one fails, it is near impossible to replace without removing the engine and breaking the crank loose. The FelPro seal fits misc Jeeps and Caddies up into the 1990s; it installs easily with the oil pan removed. I have about 15,000 miles one now and so far it has not leaked.

As for pistons, the EGGEs are better than nothing, but are hard to cool down unless fitted with lots of extra clearance. I have a set in a car that currently has 30,000 miles on them, and that engine still runs 10-20 degrees warmer that normal. I prefer to sleeve the block back to standard (all 8 holes) and use servicable OEM pistons. I have heard ROSS makes a good set of forged ones, but do not know that first hand.
As for rod, main, and cam bearings, timing chains, piston pin bushings, vacuum advance rebuilds, etc. Terrell Machine in Texas has always been a reliable, cost competative.
FOr the oil pump, I have used Max M's and Packard Intl's. BOth are similar, but different engineering ideas, but both work. P.I sells theirs for less than half of what Max M gets for theirs. I am chompin at the bit to try one of the Melling pumps now !

As mentioned earlier, all this info may be common knowledge to most folks on this NG, but maybe someone need to know some of it.

Thanks,

Joe Hall

Posted on: 2007/5/24 19:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Parts Sources & Interchanges
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Joe if you could add your wonderful cross-ref information to the parts database that will help preserve that information so it doesnt get lost down the thread tree.

Thanks again,

Posted on: 2007/5/24 20:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
One must be careful choosing WHICH MoPar 318 lifters to use.

Packard V8 hydraulic valve lifters:
Melling JB 879 or SealedPower HT 879.
DO NOT USE THE 2011 LIFTER !!!!!!!!

I have the JB879 installed in my 56 Executive.
When i pulled it apart there were 2 replacement types in there that i have reasons to believe came from one of the major suppliers. The 879 lifters are identicle to the 2 replacements i found in the engine EXCEPT for the shape of the pushrod seat. The 879 has a pushrod seat identicle to the factory lifters that was in the car.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 6:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What's wrong with the 2011 lifter???? Why can't we use it???

Posted on: 2007/5/25 14:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The 2011 lifter seat sets TOO HIGH in the lifter body. It does NOT allow for the 2/10 inch (purged lifter) lash as outlined in the manual. If u install the 2011 it MIGHT work (that's a BIG MIGHT) but the lifter seat will be very near the bottom of travel. On deeply reground heads it will present a problem. The 879's are just right as per manual specs.

Furthermore, i believe that in order to obtain optimal performance we really need adjustable pushrods.

THe new rotor has made an ASTRONOMICAL improvement in my 352 V8. I would have never believed it. THose of u running resistor plugs and/or wires really need to drop the original Packard rotor for one that is NOT resistor type.
See the X-ref of this forum for part number.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 21:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
T'PacMan. a couple of years ago u posted pics of your GM HEI distributor at the AACA site. Do u still have pics of the dist and refresh my memmory on what u had to do about the trans throttle valve linkage that runs so close to it.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
In addition to the Owner Registry thread i would like to request an OLDS pump conversion registry too.
In view of the fact that the Olds conversion is the greatest improvement and discovery since 1956 i find it only fitting that we keep up with how many are out there as the years go by.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 21:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Those pics were on my old Windoze computer (which is now why I have a Mac) and were lost when it crashed. I had them posted on the AACA site, but those disappeared when they cleaned house of all the "undesirables" a while back. I'll take some more when I get a chance to.

As for the throttle shaft, I had to bend it into a slight "U" shape to clear the dist. It will all be moot here in a few months when the T56 goes in.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 23:24
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved