Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Rearward vision (mirrors)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I've seen that style on many 33-34 cars but as you know they are not identified in the 34 accessory catalog; I believe they were first listed for 1935 and thereafter thru the end of the sidemount era. I suppose there were accessories available from Packard that weren't listed but I really tend to think they are incorrect for 1933 and 1934. Nevertheless seeing what apparently are the correct ones is uncommon and I doubt a judge would ever deduct for them, despite the apparent lack of documentation. If anyone has such documentation for 1934 I'd love to see it.

The mirror and post itself has been available for years from Jay Fisher and perhaps others, but some years back when I inquired to Fisher about the clamp-on bases he told me the tooling (or perhaps his source?) had been lost or damaged, though he entertained hope that they'd become available again. I think perhaps they were because I believe Peter Issler of Switzerland, after a very long wait, finally got them. I believe originally there were 3 different post heights available.

Here's a page from an old copy of Fisher's catalog on sidemount mirrors. You could get the original "See-Rite" engraving optionally.

Attach file:

jpg  (187.91 KB)
177_4960ed187e256.jpg 986X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/1/4 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe grill is black. Is that correct for the car????

Stunningly beautiful car. I especialy like green. POST aside view of it??????

Posted on: 2009/1/4 11:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, since you like green, we should ask Tom to post a picture of the interior also. He had this auto at Warren and we all had a chance to see it "up close and personal".
So Tom, please post some really close up pics of your car including interior.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 12:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Standard schemes were the grille shell in chrome and shutters painted in body color for the Eights, chrome shell and shutters for the Super Eight, and chrome shutters and shell painted body color for the Twelve. Black shutters would be correct on a black car. I can't quite lay my hands on the prices but you could have any of the 3 combinations on any car for a few bucks extra.

EDIT: Tom, you've got a terrific car, and that is an absolutely lovely green color! Looks very much like Thistle Green first offered in 1936 on the "120" and the same color a friend of mine is painting his 1936 Dietrich Twelve convertible victoria.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
The grill shutters are actually body color. They just look black in the photo. I will post some interior shots once I remember to take my wide angle lens with me to the car.

As for documentation on the post type, it looks like, but is hard to tell, that the screw in post was available in 34. This from a perusal of the MMM library photos for 1934.

Could it be that Packard offered them as a 'retro fit' in 35 or 36 to update the look of the car? My car has had those same covers since at least 1953 (first photo I can find), which doesn't mean much but at least makes it consistent for 56 years.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/1/4 15:14
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Edmond
See User information
That one for the metal tire cover with raised sidemount bead is exactly what I'm looking for. Kanter has an inexpensive sidemount mirror, but you have to drill a hole in the sidemount bead and I don't plan to drill any non-stock holes in this car. Is Jay Fisher still around? If he is, it sounds like they no longer have this clamp-style sidemount mirror for sale?

I tried googling Jay+Fisher+mirror and all I got was a dagger maker, a Pontiac dealer and an obstetrician. I can't use any of the above this week.

Thanks everyone, for all your help on this.

Ed

Posted on: 2009/1/4 16:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Could it be that Packard offered them as a 'retro fit' in 35 or 36 to update the look of the car?

Tom, I'm sure that's possible, Packard prided itself on going to special lengths to satisfy customers - that's part of what built their reputation. And they did lots of things that aren't documented as well. I'm glad to hear the shutters are body-color!

Edmond, Yes, Jay Fisher is still in business, I stopped by his space in Hershey this year. He does business by phone and mail. You'll have to call him (actually his wife usually answers) to see what he has available. Brace yourself with a stiff drink before you ask the price! You might also try Don Sommer (American Arrow Corp) who makes mirrors, mascots, and other misc. Packard hardware.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 16:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to sort of finish off this thought about the clamp-style 33-34 sidemount mirrors, I'm enclosing a picture of what I think must be one of the very rarest of 34 Packard items, the original miniature padlock that secured the mirror. In 40+ years of looking at these Packards I think I've only ever seen one or perhaps two others.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.19 KB)
177_4962635c6218c.jpg 600X936 px

Posted on: 2009/1/5 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I got some shots of Tom's car.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.43 KB)
404_49627a043d4f5.jpg 583X430 px

jpg  (46.00 KB)
404_49627a3d528d7.jpg 568X392 px

jpg  (36.49 KB)
404_49627a5e2a54c.jpg 432X576 px

Posted on: 2009/1/5 16:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Several people have asked within the last month about availability of the sidemount mirrors that mount on the metal covers with a thru-screw from beneath (not the clamp-on type); one person on my suggestion contacted Kanters's who said they were out of stock. I had lunch with Dan Kanter yesterday and he expects they will be available again soon so check back with them. Their price was very good. BTW, up until the recent out-stock, Kanter says his mirrors were still made by a retired employee of the original manufacturer.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 10:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved