Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 179

Todd W. White, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: dust covers on the ball ends of torsion suspension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I am rather confident that they are NOT the same part, although they do resemble each other as they perform the same function.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i just called Max and they said that noone makes 445890 so they had to cross it to the 418647 tie boot. he said that the center is larger on the 445890 and to just cut it open wider. i have a graduating drill-bit that i will use to make the opening larger. i will do it by hand as i don't want to destroy the boot. he said that i could cut a slit one side of the opening and that would help, but i want to try other things before i cut it and weaken the boot.

so...there you go...they don't make it so i have to do with what i have. ;0)

at least i am not dreaming this stuff up and at least i did do my homework when i ordered the part and did order the right part number.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/12/3 10:50
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You could use a dull edge piece of pipe that will fit over the ball easily and clamp the assembly in a vise and force the boot on by using the pipe as a driver.
Back the assembly with soft wood like pine so that it will take any undue pressure.
You are confident that these boots will not slip off in the future.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 11:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
especially when i put the lateral bars on top....they aren't going anywhere. the little bastards!! LOL!

Posted on: 2008/12/3 12:32
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
got them on.

had to drill the center hole to the next step of 1/2 inch with my graduating drill bit. it still was a PITA to get them on, but they finally went on.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 0:17
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved