Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 173

Todd W. White, Joe Krzan, Bob J, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

dust covers on the ball ends of torsion suspension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
how do i get these dust covers onto the ball studs that are on the compensator motor and at the other ball studs at the other end at the bars.

i see that the studs have been pressed in and i am assuming one would have to press them out, put the dust cover on and press them back in.....that is obviously the right way, but how would one do it without pressing it in and out. i have tried stretching the dustcovers out and slipping them over the ball end....can just about get it on, but i lack the UMGH needed to push it over that little limit it has left before it snaps on the ball stud. i have tried grease as a lubricant.....it helps, but doesn't do the job.

any suggestions.

you can what i am talking about in the compensator portion of the 55-56 service manual. the little dust covers. also if you look in that portion of the manual it shows the rod with the ball studs facing one way in one pic and in the fig. that it shows you how to install it to rebuild it is the other direction.....i am guessing it is better to follow the fig. i am talking about the way the ball stud arms face....they lean back together in one direction, but which way do they face when rebuilding, which side of the bracket with the long shaft.

thanks,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/12/2 14:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: dust covers on the ball ends of torsion suspension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The balls come attached in NOS levers so would not have been pressed out by the repairman or the instructions would have said so. Probably the replacement seals are extra stiff causing the problem. My suggestion would be to heat them up a bit with a hair dryer for a bit more flexibility and also use the grease or silicone.

If I understand your other question, I would go by the figure but when hooking up the transverse levers & short bars, run the motor so it would be oriented that the balls point to passenger side when reassembled. There is a good picture in fig 21.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 16:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i tried everything you just told me about the dust covers. those little bastards will NOT go on. i can get it about half way over the ball and it will NOT go any further. POS!!

@#%$@#@#%$@#~~!!!!

Posted on: 2008/12/3 0:06
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Where did you get these dust covers? My originals were very thin rubber and slid right back on. Are these tierod boots?

Posted on: 2008/12/3 1:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Have you tried soaking them in HOT water for a few minutes to soften the rubber?

Posted on: 2008/12/3 3:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the parts plates show the same part number for the ball studs all around the car. part number 445890. maybe i grabbed the wrong part number out of my box in the garage. maybe you hit the nail on the head and i am trying to put on part number 419647. either that or max sent me the wrong ones, cause these sons a bitches are a PITA!! and i jacked up my paint job trying to get the on, super awesome! ;0)

oh well, live and learn. hopefully that is the problem.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2008/12/3 9:45
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i know this sounds retarded, but i microwaved it for about 8 seconds and if that didn't make it warm i don't know what would. it was nice and warm enough that i couldn't hold on to it very long when i tried to push down. the harder i pushed the worse it burned me, LOL! ;0) and no it did not deform it. i didn't nuke it that long.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 9:47
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just as a mattere of technique, oil or grease is not the best choice of lubricant for rubber. Best choice is liquid dishwashing detergent like "Dove" or similar, and next best is brake fluid.

Posted on: 2008/12/3 10:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Personal favorite is Go-Jo,
but it is tough to hang on to

Posted on: 2008/12/3 10:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i called my wife at home and had her look at what was in the box.

i have 6 of 419647
and i have 6 of 445890 (2 too many, oops)

the ones on my work bench are the 890 ones, so i am using the correct part number.

i had her look at the size of them side by side, she said they are identical.

so, do you think max mad a boo boo or are they really the same exact part, just different numbers for different locations and uses?

i am fixing to try whoop ass tonight if i can't get them on ;0) LOL!!

Attach file:

jpg  (22.38 KB)
491_4936a7ce25c45.jpg 634X476 px

Posted on: 2008/12/3 10:33
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved