Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Craig's Panther Project - Front lower bumper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
This is not a modification, hence posting it in the 1955-56 section.

The front lower bumper on my Panther (nee Clipper) was bent quite a bit on the bottom. This is typical of 1955-56 Packards of the era because drivers would run into curbs and things which would impact them. In addition, the stock bumper jack would cause the lower metal to bend because it is relatively thin and unreinforced in the jacking area. Here are some pictures of the lower bumper after I tried unsuccessfully to straighten it.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

I called an old friend of mine who had his 1964 GTO restored which required some bumper straightening and rechroming. He recommended <i>Verne's Chrome</i> in Gardena, CA. I sent the bumper there after first sending pictures and talking with the owner, Ron Verne. I got it back after a couple of weeks and here is the result.

Resized Image
Resized Image

In the case of my Panther, I will be having the lower front bumper painted body color, but Verne's does rechroming too.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/2/2 13:25
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Craig's Panther Project - Front lower bumper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are you going to add any reinforcement to the lower bar as Fred mentioned doing to some of his cars? That might be a nice thing to document for others facing a similar situation.

Posted on: 2017/2/2 13:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Craig's Panther Project - Front lower bumper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard,

No reinforcement because I'll never use a bumper jack on it.

Craig

Posted on: 2017/2/2 14:28
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved