Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 193

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to patch the hole in your carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Well after going to Napa and 2 other places who didn't know how to plug the gas leak from the carb I was directed to a good Carburetor Shop. I texted him the photo and he said come over and I will give you the part. He graciously handed me 2 of these little guys and my mechanic tapped it into the hole and after setting the points my 1953 Clipper Deluxe started right up and purrs like a kitten! I drove her to the car wash, washed her by hand, and saw how absolutely beautiful she is. I have never felt these feelings. I am driving a 64 year old incredibly beautiful car. the engine is so clean you could eat off it. The rebuilt transmission, with all Mercedes parts including passing gear, has only 6,000 miles on it. The previous owner said the tires spin if I step on the gas too hard with all her power. It took me almost 8 months to pay her off but I knew I had to have her the instant I saw her in his garage. She had been asleep for 7 1/2 years. It was hard for him to let her go but when it was time I entered the picture and he happily sold her to me. Now all fluids are new, she is clean and waiting for new tires, just like in the brochure in 1953. She is dark blue, don't know the Packard color, almost navy with blue grey wool interior. Both previous owners had her for 32 years in Palm Springs and La Palma, CA. I plan on being around well into my 100's so I guess I'll have her that long too! I'm learning how to attach photos. One is the hole and the other will be the plug.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.66 KB)
136672_5902e87f8cd07.jpg 598X337 px

Posted on: 2017/4/28 2:02
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Re: How to patch the hole in your carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
WEll I have spent too much time trying to get the photo of this tiny plug on here and I'm done. Picture a tine pellet. That is what it looked like.

Posted on: 2017/4/28 2:35
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Brenda...How Cool! You have put a great deal of effort into your Packard and it is obvious that you love her. Now you can drive her and enjoy her and allow her to be admired by everyone.

When my grand daughter and I go breakfast with Miss Princess, Tara will patiently answer questions and it is fun for me to just stand to one side and let her talk about the car. I am usually surprised at how much information she as absorbed about a 1949 Packard.

They truly are a joy to drive and share...Ernie

Posted on: 2017/4/28 10:26
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #1 above:

" The rebuilt transmission, with all Mercedes parts
including passing gear, has only 6,000miles"

Mercedes parts??????? I assume this an Ultramatic transmission???
What year and model of Mercedes parts fit the Packard Ultramatic???

Posted on: 2017/4/28 12:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If memory serves, believe from 55 to maybe 60 Mercedes used a Borg Warner trans -- essentially the same trans some Ford and AMC products were using. The clutch plates on those will fit the Ultra but not sure about anything else -- maybe bands -- but I'd be surprised if any major hard parts will fit.

Posted on: 2017/4/28 13:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved