Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 217

Leeedy, 37Blanche, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Windshield wipers not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
One more observation. My solenoid is different than yours. Probably, it has been replaced from the original. I am sure it has.

Here is the configuration....

Electrical is supplied to solenoid. It seems the co-valve is built into the solenoid. At the bottom of the solenoid (which is inside the jar), the hose from the balancing valve (not to be confused with the co-valve) goes into the jar from the top, and then, plugs into the bottom of the solenoid. There is another hose plugged into the solenoid at the bottom that is totally contained within the jar. This 2nd hose is obviously designed to suck water from the bottom of the jar.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 21:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pict 3 is of a standard wiper without the washer components shown (only the indication where it's vacuum supply would originate). If you do not have a lid like the one shown as washer top in post 8, you do not have the normal 55-6 setup so it's kinda hard to know what to suggest--other than the water hose does absolutely not go where it apparently does. If you can post a pict of your system, we might be able to see if it came from an earlier year or yours might be broken which is why the hose goes directly to water--or it could also be an aftermarket.

The pictures (other than the washer top) all came from the service manual available on site here--basic hose hookup from the instruments section and the washer from the accessories section. If you do an articles search by year, Kev has everything pertinent to that year that is on site pretty well organized. There are instances where the tech bulletins or SC's (for example a 55 bulletin will have something for an earlier year) which won't be listed by year. For that, you just have to search or wait until Brian finishes his indexes.

EDIT: just read your last post--That doesn't sound like any Packard setup I am familiar with.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Here's a pic, and another will follow:

Resized Image

Crud! How do you add an image from your computer? I see the way to link to a pic on the web via URL, but I can't get the image off my computer to post.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
When on the reply page, click on browse and find the file on your computer-one of the listed file types only and also under 400K in size. After you locate it, click on upload and the pic name will appear under the browse button after a few seconds. When you finish writing your post, then submit and pict should be there.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Wiper Control Device:

Attach file:

jpg  (26.89 KB)
1168_4949c500bb489.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Water Jar:

Attach file:

jpg  (29.64 KB)
1168_4949c55deebd2.jpg 360X480 px

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
From the balancing valve in Pic3 drawing you posted, the hose goes to jar as shown in my 2nd photo. The hose goes in the jar and then, attaches to a nipple under the solenoid below the jar cap (i.e. inside the jar and beneath the solenoid). Also beneath the solenoid is a 2nd nipple. This attaches to a 6-inch hose that just sucks water out of the jar. It goes to the bottom of the jar.

In my 1st photo (wiper control device), the hose coming out of the left side of the motor goes into the dash through the gromet. I have no clue why there is not another hose going into that same gromet to perhaps feed water to the hose coming out and going to the black motor (I assume that's what it is).

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Actually the smaller black hose from the wiper device goes into the dash through another grommet. So does the smaller, light-colored hose. The smaller black hose was somewhat rigid, and when I squeezed it between my fingers, the damg thing broke in half. I think it should be an easy fix to replace it, though.

Is that black cylindrical thing to the right of the device a motor?

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the standard Packard motor and you have the normal co-ordinator cylinder. The washer is unlike anything I have seen, so no idea what it is out of.

At any rate since it is working, take the water hose off the balance valve & plug that opening so no vacuum leak. In looking at pics, it almost looks like it has an electric pump so maybe no vacuum supply. I don't see anything looking like a hose except the water out-rest all look like wires but correct me if wrong.

Anyway, if you have the normal Packard nozzles on side of the wiper blade mounts, then the water hose connection should be under the dash. There will be a small brass tube on the mounts with a hose from each going to a tee fitting normally somewhere between the center of car to anywhere near that rubber grommet--one approx 1/4 inch center connection and about 1/8 to each nozzle. That is where the water hose needs to be hooked to. If that was changed with the jar, then you'll have to search.

The co-ordinator won't be functional in the normal fashion, with what I can see so you will have to turn the knob to work wipers when using the washer.

The 2 small hoses, one from a Y fitting in motor supply and the other from center of motor go to the wiper switch. The little slide knob underneath is a speed control--one way and wipe is full, other way applies vacuum to the motor center part and sweep is fast but only about half normal travel.

EDIT: when you replace that small broken hose be sure both connected properly on wiper switch. If you hear a hiss when knob in one or other position, they are reversed.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Okay. THe larger hose from the left side of motor goes into dash, and joins the tee, where the smaller 1/8 hoses split off.

The two smaller hoses from the wiper device go into dash and hook up to the wiper control knob at the dash.

So, to hook-up the hose you mentioned (which goes to the manifold nipple at the balancing valve (in pic 3 you posted) to the tee inside th dash would require me to disconnect the one that goes from the left side of the motor.

Am I clear?

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved