Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 44

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch Pressure Plate Torque Specs (1941 super 8, 180)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
Hey Guys,

Real quick - can anyone give me the torque spec on the 6 ~3/8" bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel? I would Imagine it would be around 35-50 lbft.

Also, while we're on the topic, I've looked at the prelim shop manual and other documents that are in the literature section of this site and while they have helped, I wouldn't consider them a detailed shop manual. Can anyone recommend a 'full' manual I can download or buy, so I can stop bugging you guys with these silly questions!

Posted on: 2017/6/12 21:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch Pressure Plate Torque Specs (1941 super 8, 180)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
Also, Should I use (red) locktite?

Posted on: 2017/6/12 21:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From the 46-50 manual which covers the same engine trans combo you are working on. The prewar manuals were a bit lacking in detail and Packard really didn't offer much in torque specs then.

There is no mention of locktite although it probably wouldn't hurt. Don't know if it needs red as that might make it hard to remove the next time -- what about blue.

Attach file:

jpg  (220.65 KB)
209_593f513937971.jpg 970X1532 px

Posted on: 2017/6/12 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
Thanks for the quick response Howard - I owe you a beer (or non-alcoholic beverage if you are so inclined) If I am ever up your way.

I'll go ahead and use blue for peace of mind.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Loc-Tite wasn't invented in 1940 and Packards and all other cars did not have a problem with torqued and lockwashered bolts backing out. If there were a problem the bolts would have had bend-over retainers. True, Loctite of any type will not hurt but it will not help either.

Nobody suggests Loctite on water pump or cylinder head nuts.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 0:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved