Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (158 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Todd W. White, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Power Antenna Wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
This is another little deal I want to fix. THe nylon cable is fine. The motor does not turn.

I checked wiring to the under dash knob under that controls antenna. Two wires from knob to motor. I left them untouched.

There is another wire coming from fuse box. Starting from the fuse box, and just a few inches before you get to control knob, the wire is spliced like a "Y." One end was connected to a place on the knob. The other end of the splice was not connected but will fit a vacant connector there.

I touched the vacant fitting to the vacant wire, got a spark, and blew the fuse.

Will replace the fuse.

But, I am wondering about this vacant connector. Is it supposed to be connected?

BTW, antenna used to work. I don't know if I jarred the wire loose at some point, or if I have a burnt motor.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 10:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Antenna Wiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does not sound like that switch or wiring is stock Packard either. The wiring from factory should be as shown with a 20amp inline fuse in the red wire from ign switch to ant switch. That motor (as does almost all reversible motors that Packard used has 2 separate coils, one for each direction) The mounting screws to body provide one conductor and ONE of the wires depending on direction connects to a voltage and provides the other. There should be no place on switch for any additional wire to hook up, nor do the wiring diagram show any connection to fuse block.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.97 KB)
209_494d11ffc93bb.jpg 437X415 px

jpg  (11.48 KB)
209_494d121a0194b.jpg 375X624 px

Posted on: 2008/12/20 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
JUst got back from auto parts buying fuses. Will take pic and post in three minutes.

Okay, here's the pic. Note the two wires circles in black go to motor. The one circled in white goes to fuse box. The one circled in red was disconnected. With car running, I touched the onec ircled red to the vacant contact point, got a spark and fuse blew.

Note also that one circled red is spliced into one circled whire (see electrical tape).

Also, note that the fuse slot at fuse box is labeled "Washer" ( Go figure! )

Attach file:

jpg  (37.20 KB)
1168_494d1ba7a5f40.jpg 360X480 px

Posted on: 2008/12/20 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
While. we're at it. Why connect to ignition? Does that make ant. go up and down when car is started and turned-off? If that's the case, then, why the control knob?

Posted on: 2008/12/20 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Also, here's two more pics to show the way motor connects to antenna. I don't get it because there are two half-moon shaped spindles. One doesn't fit in the other, so how does it work. Is there some sort of magnetic grip that pulls the spindles together to rotate the spindle on the antenna side?

Attach file:

jpg  (132.39 KB)
1168_494d1f712b67c.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (101.09 KB)
1168_494d1f84d475c.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2008/12/20 11:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd need to see more of antenna, but don't recognize that as Packard. Do you have a single on front fender or duals on back? This photo I borrowed from cli55er's blog shows one type front 55-6 antenna, and there's another version almost identical but with the nylon storage in a long loop about 2' high instead of compact coil. It sounds like who ever converted the washer to all electric did some other changes.

Did that extra wire get pulled off that electric washer setup by chance. Know it's hard under dash for picts but can't see enough detail in the antenna sw to make any suggestions. If the switch is one shown in post above, then that is correct one and the antenna would connect to the U & D on one side and battery to the long B on opposite. Anything other and need to see a detailed photo to offer much help.

As to the ign sw hookup, that was a convenient place that was on only when ign sw was in run or acc position. Has nothing to do with automatic operation. As you noted, there is no acc post on fuse block as such, so switch was the place used for lots of accessories. They would have individual wires with fuses connected there to get a hot lead.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.38 KB)
209_494d2413e615f.jpg 228X308 px

jpg  (10.99 KB)
209_494d241b905ac.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2008/12/20 11:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Single on fender. The nylon is in a 3, maybe 3.5", diameter casing. I already opened it and checked it. It is fine.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 12:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That motor almost looks like one from a rear antenna--maybe someone mounted that style instead?? The rears were short--about 16 inches total length and had a large 5-6" diameter metal enclosure just above the motor where the excess nylon cord was pulled around a reel. Motor shaft on those fit into a mating hole in the worm type gear that drove the reel. Wiring was the same. Grounded case plus a single hot for whatever direction.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 12:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Next pic coming your way.... Okay, it's still not a great pic. You cand see "D" for down. "U" is the one right below it.

I can't make out anything on the connector for the top right. That was the vacant one. It looks like it is not labeled, but it certainly could be (it's hard to see). The connector on bottom right was connected. I can't make out any labeling there, either. The connector on the top right is just a tiny rectangular conector where the connector on the wire just slips over it. I don't know what you call that type of connector, but it's very common. Just a friction fit.

One I am trying to avoid is blowing more fuses, over and over, while I diagnose this thing. Two points: First, I have the antanna out of the car and disconnetced from the motor. The more is still connected to the electrical, but not to where it mounts to the antenna. I just thought I would try and see if the shaft in the motor turns. Perhaps when I hooked up the other wire, I got power but it was not properly grounded? Does the motor need to be mounted to antenna for proper grounding?

Attach file:

jpg  (31.80 KB)
1168_494d296bec54f.jpg 360X480 px

Posted on: 2008/12/20 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Here is another pic: Maybe better???

Here, you can see the connections on right better. These are NOT the up and down connections. The top right is the one not connected. It has the friction fit standard connection (whatever you call it). The one on the bottom right is screwy. You can see it is more or less cylindrical with a groove cut into it. A rectangular sheet metal connector on the wire slides somewhat haphazardly into the groove. That was the one that used to be connected.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.52 KB)
1168_494d2b90ac988.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2008/12/20 12:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved