Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Clock fuse
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you verified all working & correct ones. As V8 mentioned, they are fairly bright when rheostat at maximum. Maybe there is a layer of dust or they have dimmed with age or wrong voltage. Should be 4 total-2 at top of speedo on either side of hi beam indicator and 1 on middle outer each side of cluster at edge of gauges. Another possibility is the paint on inside of cluster has flaked off and not reflecting.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
God only knows how I fix things. I began removing the clock because it did not start after I put the fuse in. I took the fuse out before starting to remove the clock because I did not want to accidentally burn it.

As I reomoved the 2 nuts to take out the clock and was getting ready to disconnect the wires, I hear this ticking sound. The dang thing started!

So, I'm putting the clock right back in. It stopped. Hell if I know at this point, but how did it start without the fuse? My guess is either, (1) it is wired to a different location on the fuse box, or (2) maybe it had a smidge of stored electricity in it enough to allow it to tick for 50 seconds. I figure probably the former, but just in case, I put the fuse back in. The clock starts ticking again.

I reassemble to the dash and whoalla!

We'll see how long and well it works, but it seems to be working.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Will check those bulbs now.... I kind of got the impression you had to take the entire cluster out to do this. If so, I might have to pass for today. Have plans to take mom to lunch.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 11:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The clock is actually a wind up. The electric part is a solenoid that kicks a lever every 2-3 minutes to wind or tension a spring. When winds down, points close, solenoid kicks lever back, winds spring, then down again etc etc. The symptom sounds like dried lubricant. The points also burn and oxidize if battery low and action not strong enough to kick spring properly so they snap open. You can take it apart, burnish points and relube using instrument or clock oil. Whatever you do, don't use WD40 or anything like that.

The bulbs are held in a metal socket with spring clips that pushes into holes in cluster. Ease them straight out, being careful not to tip so glass gets caught on edge of hole and breaks. They should come out without too much drama, but if stubborn, use a thin blade small screwdriver under edge of socket to start it.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Bulbs came out very easy. I've already replaced them all. The true test will be tonight. Nonetheless, the gold paint on the speedo, I take it, must have been reflective paint. That paint is a bit dull, so I am not expecting a change - just hoping.

As to the clock.... no wonder it makes a little pop ever few minutes. It's that spring being wound up. Good to know.

I was also going to check on the rheostat as suggested. I can see it all behind the dash, but one thing that doesn't look obvious to me is how do you remove the knobs? I'd like to be able to just take the assembly out.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Knobs are removed by releasing a spring clip. Rotate the knob until you see a small slit at end. Push up in notch with a small thin screwdriver against the clip and pull knob off. The switch needs a special tool to unscrew the nut holding it. A fellow has reproduced them
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=8084#forumpost8084
or you can make your own by getting the 1/4 hex standoff material mentioned in one of the posts. Drill it out to 3/16 to accept the shaft, then glue into a handle. The standoff material may be getting hard to find however so might have to order. One member mentions the two thin screwdrivers and that might work if nut not torqued down too tight.

EDIT: Don't think I've ever seen gold paint inside instrument cluster. Always been white.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.83 KB)
209_494e84579b930.jpg 741X462 px

Posted on: 2008/12/21 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Due to the fact that there is a different Packard instrument cluster in a box in trunk that came with car, I do not believe the one actually installed is original. It is a bit nicer than the old one in the trunk. Here's some pics (the glass/plastic over speedo is not cracked; that is a reflection):

Attach file:

jpg  (130.80 KB)
1168_494e87c623064.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (108.90 KB)
1168_494e8849e2ad2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/12/21 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nice looking dash. A couple of interesting reflections make the temp gauge look yellow instead of dark and also, where is your antenna switch we talked about yesterday. Normally it would be in center between wiper and headlights.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
The antenna control knob is on the bottom of the far left of the dash. Instead of pushing forward and pulling backward, you push up and pull down.

So, any guess as to where my instruments came from? Like I said, I do not think they were original to the car.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 16:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are both clusters the same? Wish you'd have asked about senior cars instead so am probably going to step on something and be soundly chastised. Observing the finer details not my strong point, but I believe those are correct Clipper ones for 56. IIRC, the 55s were all dark toned while the 56 gauges had the bits of lighter color to the sides. Think there was also a detail change in the plastics center button area like the seniors had but unless they were larger also, don't know for sure what it was.

Posted on: 2008/12/21 17:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved