Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

carter carb 1937 477 S
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
i want to instlll a fuel filter old type glass bowl on carb. will any of the Carter glass types work ( the threading that is I see red ones on ebay

Posted on: 2017/9/3 17:09
 Top  Print   

Re: carter carb 1937 477 S
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might verify the size of your carb input. Most are 1/8 pipe so a filter of that size should mount easily. I can't speak directly to 37 but on most with the glass bowl type filter option the tube fitting was removed from the carb. A 1/8 pipe straight nipple was installed in the carb inlet with the filter on the other end. The original carb fitting was reinstalled in the input to the filter and tubing was bent to fit and reconnected.

One suggestion I might make is to buy a filter or repro from a known vendor rather than take what comes on ebay unless it is from a known source or it says what it was used on. A vendor might be a bit more expensive but reason for a known entity is replacing the element, gasket or the glass bowl. Some of the ceramic elements originally used are getting hard to come by and are expensive. The small element used on some postwar models is one such case. Larger elements were used by some of the other mfgs and are readily available even at some local stores. In a lot of cases a modern paper element that fits in place of the larger ceramic is even available. The small elements Packard used are not as easily found and need to come from our vendor or a specialty place. That could be the case if you wind up with some odd size where you don't have a decent cross reference.

Max has some filters which he lists for 37-42 and may be original type but they are somewhat expensive. Restoration Supply has a similar style but more modern with a paper element which is available from them or Napa. Some other vendors also carry filters.

Posted on: 2017/9/3 20:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved