Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 165

BigKev, bkazmer, Tom (Packin31), TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A 2nd try at '55 Clipper Panama Super Auction Results
Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
The computer gods seem to have scrambled my original post so let me try again...

A classic car dealer has been advertising a 1955 Clipper Super Panama on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $34,500. The car seems to be in really nice shape and the seller claims to know its provenance back to the 1980's. This week the dealer also listed the same car in a traditional auction format with an undisclosed reserve. After 23 bids, the auction closed as a no-sale at $9100.

As a 1950's era hardtop with a V8, the car seems to have a lot going for it. Period correct and attractive two-toning add to its luster. A final bid under $10K seems really low all things considered unless I'm missing some fatal flaw with the car itself.

So what happened? The market came in nearly $25K below asking price. Is the market that soft for non-classic Packards? Or is the seller simply out of his mind with his asking price? Or is it something else I'm missing here.

I look forward to hearing thoughts from the experts here. [Sadly] I'm not in the market often enough to make sense of this one. (Although if 50's hardtops can be had for less than 10 grand I may be in the market soon!)

--Scott

To 64Avanti: I saw you replied to my post before the computer scrambled things. Would you mind adding your thoughts to this post as well? Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/9/8 17:42
 Top  Print 

Re: A 2nd try at '55 Clipper Panama Super Auction Results
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
Well, at $34K, the seller is a bit optimistic... especially for a junior Packard, nice as it may be. At that price, you can surely get into an excellent '55-56 400.

Posted on: 2017/9/8 22:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved