Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1930 7th series standard eight Motor Oil Pump Cleaning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I did the 'spanner wrench' in a vice bit, and it worked a trick! Interestingly, turning the 'cap' using the vice-spanner-wrench turned some sort of assembly that ends with a threaded fitting that protrudes through the oil pump cover. I have attached a picture.

So, what is up with that?

Thanks,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (19.77 KB)
333_4956da59057db.jpg 420X396 px

Posted on: 2008/12/27 20:46
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

120p400
See User information
Hi Tom, just my guess, but it may be a stud attached to what appears to be a simple cap. The "cap" may actually be achieving some clearance setting inside the oil pump for good performance. So as a precaution you should have a good photo of this cap for reassembly reference (you already have shown this), and maybe even a match mark for return to where it was (or close).
The fitting coming out the bottom might be a stud as part of that particular gear shaft, that can be locked to keep the "cap" clearance setting.
As i said, just a guess, others please jump in and save the day here.
You can clean this externally with spray on paint remover, work in the remover with throw away brushes, then clean away with spray carb cleaner. Just make sure to do this outside, with face and hand protection and make sure all the clean up paper stays outside. spray paint remover will remove paint on cars and house as it waffs around in the wind. So find a big throw away cardboard box to contain this in.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/12/28 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Craig,

Thanks for guess. I hope you are incorrect! Because I turned the thing quite a bit (all the way around several times) before I realized it was not a threaded cap

The pump still operates, and does not feel or sound any different.

All,

Thank you for your help with the cleaning tips. I soaked the pump housing in kerosene for 2 days, running the pump at a moderate speed with my drill a couple of times. I changed the kerosene after each run, as little bits old oil could be seen floating in the container and the kerosene was discolored. Once the kerosene remained clean after a run, I called it done. The lower cover was cleaned with scrubbing pads, q-tips, fingers, rags, and a dremel. The exterior of the gear housing was cleaned up using lacquer thinner followed by a wire wheel. The wire wheel was also used to clean up all fasteners. I replaced the lock washers during re-assembly. Photos of the finished product are below.

One last question: It appears that perhaps the pump body was painted black (either that or really old oil). Was it painted? Should I paint it (perhaps with glyptol or epoxy primer)?

Again, thanks tons for your help.

Tom

p.s. Sorry about the wordiness!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.07 KB)
333_4957b48e70ad9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (48.42 KB)
333_4957b4a0b4054.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2008/12/28 12:18
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Almost with absolute certainly it wasn't painted, and don't paint it. Little slithers of paint floating around in the oil doesn't result in good things happening. Glyptol offers some advantages elsewhere but I can't see how it would do anything positive on the pump exterior.

Your 7th series oil pump was used thru 1933; I have a spare on the shelf and will look at it and see what sense I can make of that odd item.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Almost with absolute certainly it wasn't painted, and don't paint it. Little slithers of paint floating around in the oil doesn't result in good things happening. Glyptol offers some advantages elsewhere but I can't see how it would do anything positive on the pump exterior.

Your 7th series oil pump was used thru 1933; I have a spare on the shelf and will look at it and see what sense I can make of that odd item.

Dave,

I agree with the paint, but I wanted to be sure. Also, thanks tons for taking a look at your other pump.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/12/28 15:44
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, you were inquiring about the threaded shaft that protrudes from your pump base once the screen retainer shield was removed. I checked my 33 pump (same pump); it's simply the shaft for the driven gear; it's not a "fitting", just a threaded stub shaft. I didn't fully diassemble but I think it's pressed in and shouldn't rotate.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Tom, you were inquiring about the threaded shaft that protrudes from your pump base once the screen retainer shield was removed. I checked my 33 pump (same pump); it's simply the shaft for the driven gear; it's not a "fitting", just a threaded stub shaft. I didn't fully diassemble but I think it's pressed in and shouldn't rotate.

The stub shaft rotates if you rotate the cap on the top, using your spanner wrench. Perhaps the entire driven gear assembly is pressed in? And what is the purpose of the spanner cap?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/12/29 12:36
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, of course. But the stub shaft is pressed or affixed to the cap so it can't rotate independently, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to tighten the nut on the end of the shaft that helps hold the screen shroud in place.

The purpose of the cap I presume was to allow machining of the gear cavity, to assemble the pump and to provide access to the driven gear for replacment.

Posted on: 2008/12/29 12:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved