Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Banjo Steering Wheel/ Horn Button
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

40clubcoupe
See User information
I am looking for an exploded view breakdown of the 1940 Banjo Steering Wheel/Horn button assembly. I saw this quite a while back but wasn't able to print it out. Now I can't find it again.
I "may" have all of the correct parts but would like to see them and their assembly order.
THANKS !

Posted on: 2017/9/26 12:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Banjo Steering Wheel/ Horn Button
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is an exploded diagram of a 47 regular wheel Wes Boyer put together. I believe essentially the same wheel was also used on the 40 but with cosmetic changes and a different emblem. Since it appears the website no longer allows clicking to expand a photo I believe it will need to be downloaded to view full size.

I embellished Wes's drawing to show the horn ring electrical path. The colors denote the items which are connected together so essentially the ground side is in red and the relay coil side part is blue. The connection between the two is made around the edge of the ring and contact plate when the ring is pushed.

The banjo wheel is constructed identically but the hub is all metal instead of being half plastic. Because of the entire metal hub being grounded by the steering shaft, there is a paper gasket that goes between the contract plate and hub plus some extra plastic insulators in the hub screw holes to prevent direct contact with the switching parts of the ring.

Wes made a video showing the assembly of a 41?-47 K wheel which was the Clipper equivalent to the banjo and may have been available on conventional bodies too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pWj4FiyxMs

Attach file:

jpg  (122.00 KB)
209_59ca9abd95a1e.jpg 1250X960 px

Posted on: 2017/9/26 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Banjo Steering Wheel/ Horn Button
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Good job Howard! The only problem, I forgot the three tiny washers for the screws that screw into the metal part (R) to the back of the steering wheel.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/9/26 14:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved