Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Add on Oil Filter - Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
I am adding an oil filter to my 53 Clipper. I know the supply line taps into the oil pressure switch. Would somebody please send a picture of that connection to me ? Thanks in advance. Steve

Posted on: 2017/11/22 9:39
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Re: Add on Oil Filter - Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Packard issued supply side connection is a special 4 way fitting. 1/8" NPT threads on two opposite ports and 1/4" inverted flare on the other two. The factory item had both male and female NPT threads. Unless you already have or can find the Packard item from a vendor who has some of the old fittings or off a parts car I seriously doubt you will find that piece available commercially -- at least I haven't found anyone selling it..

If you don't have the 4 way item you can make a workable substitution by using two 3 way 1/8 NPT x 1/4" inverted flare tees and some 1/8" close nipples. Packard had to use that arrangement when they revised the prewar plumbing without having the 4 way available. As you can see from their illustration it is not as neat and compact as the 4 way would be but the fittings are available from several sources. Disregard the filter side plumbing in the illustration as that filter with the supply going into the bottom port is a different item than used on postwar cars. The proper factory style filter for your car has the input on the side and return to engine on the bottom.

The return side of the filter goes into an almost vertical port which lets the oil drop directly into the crankcase. On your engine it is located near and almost under the oil supply port -- somewhere just above the ledge the crankcase bolts thread into. With no filter present it should be capped off so will need a 1/8" NPT x 1/4" inverted flare straight fitting.

Attach file:

jpg  (124.65 KB)
209_5a15a0461c4e4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (114.29 KB)
209_5a15a0581f890.jpg 1198X1302 px

Posted on: 2017/11/22 11:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Add on Oil Filter - Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thank you sir. This is better than I had expected. I have the whole assy. Just wasn't sure if it mounted before or after oil pressure assy. Steve

Posted on: 2017/11/22 11:35
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved