Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

turn signal cancel switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I have read all the posts in regards to turn signal cancel switch. at one point my sig did cancel as normal. I have taken the steering wheel off for a variety of reasons. at some point the distance between the outer shroud and the bottom edge of the steering wheel has increased. since I have the car running well I decided to fix the 'odds and ends' that are not quite right. I have fussed with this all day and no improvement. and I have followed the advice in other related posts.
what have I missed?????
encouragement is appreciated. my friend said to just put it back and cancel the turn signal yourself. I am too stubborn for that. I want it to work the way it is intended.
thanks
tim

Posted on: 2017/12/17 19:41
 Top  Print 

Re: turn signal cancel switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How wide is the gap between the shroud and wheel? It needs to be fairly close -- 1/16 to no more than about 1/8". If farther than that the pins will skip over the metal triangle piece that releases the spring so switch can snap back.

If that distance is good are both pins on the wheel and with wheel removed and switch activated for one direction or the other, can you see that one of the points on the metal triangles has moved into a position so it will be closer to shaft and in line to get moved with the pins. If so move the point just as the pin would do and does the switch cancel?

If the column and shroud needs to move closer to the wheel there are two clamps -- one at the steering box and the one under the dash. Those both loosen but the column may not move up because of the upper inner bearing race which is a snug ring that is on the steering shaft won't move to let the bearing slide up with the column.

If the ring prevents movement, to get the column to move, with the wheel still fastened measure the amount the column needs to move. Remove the wheel and spring to slide the concave ring up slightly then loosen the clamps and move the column up. You may need to use a screwdriver or something at the steering box to pry it up the required amount. Tighten the bottom clamp and then slide the concave ring back into the bearing and reassemble the spring and wheel and check things out. If it cancels tighten all the clamps and if not and needs to move more, repeat the process.

Here is a 47 assy. The switch is different but the concave ring that needs to move up is the same as yours.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.14 KB)
209_5a37155b6d713.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (12.64 KB)
209_5a37199f9faa8.jpg 494X406 px

Posted on: 2017/12/17 20:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
the space between the shroud and the wheel is like 1/4".
too much according to what I read. I have loosened all the points mentioned. I have not reduced the space. I am not able to move the "bearing race". I can remove the split ring that the spring pushes against the race.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 20:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That ring will need to slide up so you can move the column maybe 3/16. I had to do it on the 47. I can't remember on the 52 if there is a double clamp under the dash for the shroud and column or not. You might remove the bottom half and look up to see if there is another clamp holding just the column. I did have to pry the column as I didn't have any luck just trying to pull it. If you have a rubber collar at the floor plate that could also be sticking to the column and holding things up.

Posted on: 2017/12/17 20:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Same here, if it doesn't work find out why. Here's a couple more pictures what to look for.
Once I loosened the clamp at the bottom of the steering column (in the engine bay) and the bracket under the dash, I was able to use a pry bar and move the outside steering column up enough to close the gap between the steering column and the steering wheel.
The first picture is from Howard and my second picture has the parts in reverse order.
Good luck !

Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (128.82 KB)
1003_5a374f883efa2.jpg 1280X1025 px

jpg  (156.79 KB)
1003_5a374f9863fef.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/12/18 0:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...I wonder if removing the pins in the steering wheel and installing slightly longer pins from a piece of rod cut from a rod purchased at the hardware store? Sometimes, these old girls just want us to pay them some extra attention! Happy Holidays to all. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/12/18 12:30
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If I were you I would look very closely, because it sounds like something isn't put back together right. Double check everything and post some pictures maybe we can spot something your missing.
I'm posting a picture from my 47 Packard Steering to give you an idea of the length of the studs.
Good luck!
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (204.00 KB)
1003_5a38664012db7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/12/18 20:07
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved