Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Charge Trouble
Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Regarding the cooling system, I replaced the hoses and had a professional clean the radiator, and he said it was in good shape. I replaced the thermostat. What else can I do? I would like to rebuild/replace the water pump. ideas?

Posted on: 2009/1/10 15:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you rebuild the water pump, then also pull out the distrobution tube and clean it out. It ensures even cooling across the length of the block.

Posted on: 2009/1/10 16:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is regulator. Still fairly easy to get & Napa Auto should have a universal replacement. Assume your car still 6V positive ground. Good idea to also check the wires & make sure no bare places that could short and have solid corrosion free connections. That old rubber & cloth wire doesn't hold up very well after 60 yrs so wouldn't be surprised if you found lots of bare spots.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.80 KB)
209_4969218755354.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/1/10 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Help me with identification; the water pump has the fan bolted to it; but there is a device between the lower radiator hose and the water pump, with two lines going back past the engine towards the transmission. What is this? It seems to be leaking. Please see attached picture.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.53 KB)
471_496a4fe82507f.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2009/1/11 15:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Transmission cooler. If you are leaking antifreeze, the radiator hose connections are famous for rusting, pitting, dissolving and generally falling apart.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Thanks! I have replaced the hose going to the radiator but not towards the pump, I'll replace it and the clamps. Can the transmission cooler be rebuilt?

Posted on: 2009/1/11 15:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC the fittings are a combination of crimp, flange & solder where it mounts to the cooler body. Generally, that area is OK. The part that slides into the hose is what deteriorates to the point a new hose might not help or when you remove the old, half the fitting that's left will come with it and not leave enough to clamp onto. You MIGHT find an old time radiator shop that can braze on a new piece or perhaps reinforce what is left. I believe there has been mixed success -- most just try to find one in better shape. Another area that is prone to the same problem is the thermostat housing bolted on head--at least those are being reproduced.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 15:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Awesome, thanks! I'll look into it. I've had experience brazing but it's been 10 years. The thermostat housing is in good shape. Since I haven't replaced the hose between the cooler and the pump that means it's over 20-30 years old and needs to be replaced anyway.

Thanks for the help. I have a Packard Service Manual 51-54 but if you don't know some basic things it doesn't help.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 16:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved