Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
255 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 255

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Window rubber and track guide replacement - 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
All, I have my wing windows out and am working on replacing the rubber and window guide inserts. There are small rivets holding part of this together. I had planned on pop riveting all of this back together, but am pausing because a 1/8 pop river won't fit. As we, I am thinking that the pop river may interfere with the actual window action. Anybody done this before? Looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance. Steve

Posted on: 2018/3/25 10:59
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Re: Window rubber and track guide replacement - 53 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did it on a 47 which is fairly similar in construction. I used flat head rivets where possible. In some places in the channel I resorted to short flat head screws and nuts because the diameter is a bit smaller than 1/8 rivets. Used flat head because the tapered bottom surface of the head can kind of work its way down into the soft rubber base holding the fuzz and get buried slightly below the surface so the window edge won't hit. Locknuts where there was room and locktite and regular nuts in a couple of limited clearance places. I used mostly 2-56 and 4-40 screws. 2-56 where they used 3/32 rivets and 4-40 where 1/8 was used.

Where I used rivets in the channel, with my rivet tool the nose wasn't small or long enough to get deep in the channel to push against the rivet without distorting the sides of the channel. I drilled a hole in a 1/4" diameter rod so it would slide over the rivet wire as a spacer and then the tool over that so the nose didn't need to go down in the channel. Don't remember the exact length but was just thick enough the nose would fit in the channel without touching the sides too hard but short enough the rivet wire could still be gripped by the tool.

Posted on: 2018/3/25 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved