Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 533 Rear axle broken thread ...age or materials?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, Thanks for your comments and advice. I forgot to mention that I believe that the axle nut had broken off at least 150 miles ( 2 years) ago. I noticed a few years ago that I developed a slight click each time I reversed. I didn't worry about it as it was only a single click and it did not develop into a "squeak", which is a sure sign of a hub and taper working on each other. I would have expected that if the hub and taper were working on each other this would give a shiny surface to each, not rusty as in this case. The broken off washer ( both faces) and nut faces were very polished and had been working on each other for a long time inside the hub cap. I suspect that I may have stressed the thread in 1974 when I was pulling the hub and was using a 20 lb sledge to shock the hub puller under extreme tension. I know better now and tend to load up around 200 ft lbs on the puller, tap confidently on the hub casting with a lump hammer. if that does not work I go away for a day and let nature and expansion/contraction do their job. Not keen on excessive heat on the brake hub with everything under load since a friend of mine ( now deceased) had his wife seriously injured when his 57 Supercharged Packard axle broke at the hub and somersaulted the car. The failure was traced back to the use of heat on the axle to change bearings. Sorry about the long winded story. PT

Posted on: 2018/7/30 2:38
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved