Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 257

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fan pulley
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
It looks like I need a different fan pulley. My old one does not fit my new water pump. I know I can find a new one but they are expensive and I'm not sure they will be right. I'm not sure of the criteria needed for this. The old pulley is 6 3/4" od and the bolt holes need to be 1 3/4" apart. The old hub is 2 5/8 " diameter the new one is 3 1/4". The old pulley is 2" high when placed on a flat surface. Does anybody have an old one that might work? Thanks.

Don
Ignore this message. I found a different hub that should work,

Posted on: 2018/10/18 10:10
 Top  Print   

Re: fan pulley
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember which car you are working on but if postwar it sounds more like the new pump may be set up for another engine. According to Kanter people, postwar pumps were similar if not the same for 46-50 engines and another version from 51-54. The fan and pulley hubs were different -- smaller diameter for junior engines and larger for the 356 and other senior engines. The pulley grooves could differ in width but depth the hubs were pressed on the shaft for grooves to line up differs too depending on engine and accessories.

If your old pulley was the correct item and everything lined up and the pump is a recent purchase, is there a chance the pump vendor shipped the wrong item or maybe it would easier to make the correction in the hub.

Posted on: 2018/10/18 10:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Your replacement pump is for the 356 engine which has the larger hub and a longer shaft.
Your pulley is OK for the correct pump.

Posted on: 2018/10/18 11:39
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
I have located a hub which I'm having machined to work with my pulley. I won't need a pulley after all. The car has an alternator which may be why there is a different pulley. The motor is a 356 but as I said some parts have been altered or changed.

Posted on: 2018/10/18 13:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved