Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

V-8 wheel color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Does anyone have the PI judging manual for V-8 cars?
What do they say about the color of the wheels for V-8 cars? I have five wheels in four different colors.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 7:21
 Top  Print 

Re: V-8 wheel color
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My very original solid color 56 Executive has wheels the same color as the car. Norweigen Forest green. The spare is the same as the car color too.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 8:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Well now, that makes sense, dosen't it! My car is solid Norwegian Forest green as well

Posted on: 2007/6/4 9:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I don't have the PI manual, but would like to obtain one. However, based on inspection of some unrestored originals I can add the following.

Wheel on Caribbeans are usually the mid-band color. My Hardtop is painted in MKN and the wheels are Scottish Heather (K).

The rest of the Packards and Clippers are usually the main body color - the color of the hood and tops of the front fenders on two-tone cars. My Four Hundred parts car is painted in ML, and the wheels are Persian Aqua (L). My '56 Patrician was originally painted in MR, and the wheels are Mojave Tan (R). My dad's Exec was painted in MF, and the wheels were Holland Blue (F).

The one exception in my stable is my first '56 Patrcian, paint MV two-tone; the wheels are not Corsican Black (V), but Tangier Red (J). Coincidentally, I have seen some Cadillacs painted in all-white, but with red wheels.

Except for the one '56 Pat, I had generally concluded that the wheels were always painted the darker colors on two-tone cars. However, I believe Joel Ray has an original unrestored Four Hundred doesn't follow that rule of thumb, but I cannot recall the details. Perhaps he can refresh my memory.

Meanwhile, anyone else care to throw in another $0.02 from their unrestored car?

Posted on: 2007/6/4 19:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
FWIW, my '56 Patrician had the wheels the lighter of the two green colors, I can't remember the trim code, and it's too late to go check. I do know my car is Shannon green and another green, I just can't remember which one is darker.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 22:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The wheels on my 56 driver were Scottish Heather as that car was originally SH and DW. The wheels on my ciurrent 400 were different colors, but mostly black as I remember. I had them painted Eire green, but had the wires redone and have used them ever since.
The PI book covers engine detail. This is a work-in-progress and has yet to cover other aspects of restoration. I did note that blue A/C compressors were a service unit and that is what Dwight Heinmuller has in his Caribbean.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 22:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
My 56 400 is Erie Green and Shannon Green. The wheels are original and are the deep green that matches the dashboard. Mr. Pushbutton, hope to see you saturday.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 11:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
mr. Pushbutton, the reason you have four different color wheels is that when we pulled the car out of the Indian Village garage 35 years ago we brought wheels and tires with us as all the tires were flat on the car.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 11:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
My 56 400 is Erie Green and Shannon Green. The wheels are original and are the deep green that matches the dashboard.

That's interesting, I have the same two colors, and my wheels are Shannon Green, the lighter color.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 19:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
P1--I figured that might be the case. I've looked at a lot of repainted/restored cars at shows and seen many variations--I thought I'd address the panel to see what the consensus was.

Posted on: 2007/6/6 10:34
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved