Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 214

Ross, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 22nd-23rd Series Book
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Here I am again. I have not heard from anyone recently so I thought I would drop in and stir up some interest.

Everyone seems to be somewhat fascinated by the 1948-1950 Station Sedans. Interesting cars I will admit. So I did some digging in the remainder of the Packard archives, which seem to be scattered about.

I now know exactly how many were built and that, as everyone has guessed by now, all were built as 22nd Series cars.

I know how many were built as 1948 22nd Series and how many were built as 1949 22nd Series. Leftover 1948s were renumbered as 1949 22nd Series. Exactly how many that was we will never know for sure but reports of the data below will help narrow that down.

I now know positively that leftover 22nd Series Station Sedans were renumbered as 23rd Series cars and exactly how many that was.

I know that leftover 1949 23rd Series Station Sedans were renumbered as 1950 23rd Series (as was done with all other 1949 to 1950 23rd Series cars) and at what serial these started.

What I don't know is just what, if anything, they did to update these cars to 23rd Series beyond changing their data plates.

What will answer that question is reports for existing cars, 23rd Series in particular, buy any will be helpful. I need:
1- serial from the vin tag on the cowl
2- numbers on the Briggs plate on the firewall
3- firewall number
4- data from the build sheet taped to the top of the glove box if it survives
5- early or late type front bumper?
6- early or late type dash features?
7- round or square brake and clutch pedals?
8- 22nd or 23rd type windshield wiper control knob?
9- engine number and, of course, is it original or not?

OK you guys, lets see the reports come piling in.
You can certainly leave comments on this thread but please send the data directly to me at rjneal0000@aol.com as I do not commonly make rounds of all the various web sites. My days have not gotten long enough yet.

Robert

Posted on: 2009/10/16 18:53
Currently researching 1951 Packards, particularly convertibles and Mayfairs, but anything interesting. Own a 1950 Custom 8 sedan and a 1954 Cavalier, both are restored.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
So sorry Robert for delay in getting back to you but over here in the UK my Packard has been undergoing her first MOT and now having succeeded I have been very busy trying to get her registered in this country - have now succeeded in that too so here I am with the info. you requested ages back on the forum : My car is a 1948 Packard 22nd Series Export SIX Touring Sedan ( in other words a S.W.B Taxi in some people's eyes )she was built on 24th February 1948 as a CKD (Completely Knocked Down) and crated up and sent to S.Africa with the Briggs body number 752309 vin No.2282-2016 and engine No.G1529 - she sailed to South Africa and there was assembled by the local importers and sold to Mr Havengar of Rhodesia a Tobacco Farmer who used her for some 18 years or so then used her as a TRACTOR on the farm until she finally expired. Adrian Trebicki saved her by paying in the form of a crate of beer and proceeded to restore her for the first time - later left to work in UK but went back to reclaim and transport her to the UK where she has been in a garage in Preston Lancashire until I bought her in March this year. Now she is MOT'd and Registered here it's my intention to carry on the good work and fully restore her.

Best regards

Michael

Posted on: 2009/11/4 10:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Hi Michael, Thanks for the information on your Six. Your noted that the Briggs body number was 752309. That, I feel sure, must be the firewall number. The Briggs Body number will be very close to the vin number, which was 2282-2016. In this particular case I would expect it to be the same since it is very early in production (the 16th car built). You might check on it.

Regards and good luck with the restoration.

Robert

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:58
Currently researching 1951 Packards, particularly convertibles and Mayfairs, but anything interesting. Own a 1950 Custom 8 sedan and a 1954 Cavalier, both are restored.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Robert

As usual late getting back to you.

Yes the 752309 is stamped into the firewall - the number 2282-2016 was stamped into the plate on the opposite side on top of the firewall - I don't have any other numbers except the engine G1529 which I have only from the papers which came with the car - there is not a number stamped on the engine block or an engine plate.

Any other queries please ask

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/11/26 6:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi again Robert - just reading through some other postings of yours and noticed you asked me about a heater.

Mine does not have one and it seems these were "optional Extras" - most of the S.African cars (RHD)I have come across don't seem to have ever been fitted with a heating/demisting unit.

Bit of a problem to me living in the U.K where it seems it's always damp so a heater and particularly a demister is essential.

I'm fitting a new unit when we get to that stage of the restoration.

Best wishes Michael

Posted on: 2009/11/26 6:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Hello all,
As most of you know, I am currently writing a book on the 1948 through 1950 cars. A very interesting subject, I might add. The renumbered car have always been somewhat of a mystery because Packard never revealed exactly how they chose to assign the new numbers. We only have surviving cars or dealer records to go by. I am building a data base, roster if you prefer the term, and one of its aims is to figure out just how Packad did their renumber thing. The data base now exceeds 2,000 numbers by quite a bit but still contains NO renumbered cars in several significant areas, which is difficult to explain. The missing body types with renumbered cars are noted below. I note in each case about where the numbers start for cars to be considered as renumbered. If you have or know of a car with a vin number at or above the noted numbers, please send it to me.

It is important to send ALL NUMBERS of the car. These include the # on the vin plate, the # on the Briggs body plate, the embosed body serial (firewall) number and the engine number. Comparing these numbers is the final determination as to whether the car was actually renumbered.

2292-9-20900 and above (Eight sedan)
2295-9-5500 and above (Eight club sedan)
2262-9-62000 and above (Deluxe Eight sedan)
2265-9-17250 and above (Deluxe Eight club sedan)
2272-9-19000 and above (Super Eight sedan)
2275-9-3800 and above (Super Eight club sedan)

There must be some cars out there which fall in the above ranges.

By the way, when this book project is over I will transfer all this data on a computer file to the PAC roster keeper who tracks these cars.

I guess you can call this the latest update on the project and its needs. Hope to hear from a bunch of you guys. Someone out there has got to own one of these mystery cars!

Robert

Posted on: 2010/5/18 12:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
This is the latest update on the book. It is finished. I am working on the publication process and it should be in print before the end of 2011.

I do have a specific item I am seeking for final "clean-up." I need some good pictures of 22nd Series (1948 or 1949) Super Eight cars, Sedans and Club Sedans, both interior and exterior for the color section of the book. If you would like your car to "go down in history," contact me with some pictures.

However, I am always looking for new number data on any 22nd-23rd Series Packard to add to the roster and anything you might think could be new or interesting information on the cars. It is never too late to add something to the book until at actually goes to the printer's press.

Robert Neal
August 5, 2001

Posted on: 2011/8/5 13:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Robert, congratulations on getting it finished and ready for publication. I can't wait to get my hands on my copy and I'm sure it will provide many hours of great reading.

Dave

Posted on: 2011/8/5 15:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Thanks Dave,
I have been asked by many to let them know when the book is available. An understandable request but somewhat difficult on an individual basis. Various announcements will be made in both national Packard club's publications. In addition, I will try to get it posted on this and a couple of other antique auto sites when it occurs. A publisher has been picked and actual printing and binding is now being arranged. My guess is that it should be in print some time in November. 8 1/2 x 11 format, hard cover, 300 pages, about 650 illustrations with about 150 of them in color.

Robert

Posted on: 2011/9/1 17:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert J. Neal
See User information
Hello All - I posted some time ago that the book was finished and should be in production some time in November. It is on schedule and will probably be in print by the time you read this post. I am having about 100 copies sent to my home for those who want autographed copies. That is going to be the only way to get them signed. Cost will be $55 plus $5 shipping, either from me or from advertisements you will be seeing elsewhere.

If you want one from me contact me via email. DO NOT USE PRIVATE MESSAGE ON THIS OR ANY OTHER SITE. You can send a check or use Pay Pal to my email address.

It has been great fun and the finished product turned out great.

I am still collecting 1948 - 1950 number data so keep it coming. VIN #, Briggs Body #, embossed firewall # and engine #. The roster is close to 2,500 entries and I still get numbers which add something significant. Just got, a month or so ago, a new high 2365 VIN by 400 numbers. That was a big jump in information.

Robert
RJNeal0000@aol.com

Posted on: 2011/11/17 13:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved