Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rod Bearing Clearance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I am trying to track down (or eliminate) the source of a loud ticking or knocking on my '52 250.

I pulled the pan and I note that the sideways play for the rod bearings is about .007, although one is about .010. There does not seem to be any noticable up/down play, but I am not sure I would be able to tell with everything together. Is there any guideline for acceptable side-to-side play?

I would like to also check the bearing clearances. The manual suggests using "plasitgage" to check clearances which should be between .001 and .003. I assume that I should replace the connecting rod nuts when I do this as I don't think they are met to be re-used.

While I have the pan off, are there any other tests I should consider that might be helpful?

Posted on: 2018/11/18 1:38
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Re: Rod Bearing Clearance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
New bearing cap nuts not required, the originals are intended for re-use. I think the specification for rod end play is 0.003" to 0.011" but you can check for yourself, it's in the Packard engine specifications.

By individually shorting out the spark plugs one at a time, were you able to isolate the noise to a particular cylinder?

Posted on: 2018/11/18 9:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Rod Bearing Clearance
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
Shorting the plugs had no effect on the sound at all, other than dropping the idle a bit. But the sound remained in terms of volume and intensity as I went down the line individually.

Posted on: 2018/11/18 15:09
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved