Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 209

Don B, Chuck McDonald, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1939 Packard Six Brake Drum Specs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Probably not the best way but in a pinch, once the brake drum and backplate are off and if the axle seems stuck, put the drum, washer and nut back on, leaving a little end-play. Then you can use the drum as a pseudo slide hammer. As long as it's not too tight, it should pop right out.

Posted on: 2019/2/5 19:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard Six Brake Drum Specs
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Posting progress, waiting for parts, due Wednesday. Cleaning and media blasting the backing plate, seal covers, hardware that will not be included in the kit, etc. Amazing how much grime is back there. This car is mostly original, my Dads goalwas and mine is to preserve, not restore, as it's only old once

Sprayed some penetrating blaster on the area around rear axle bearing a couple of days ago. Went out to the second garage this AM, grabbed the axle with two hands and with two quick yanks, came right out. Bearing and race look great, will clean and repack.

Side note, the brake drums came off with a puller borrowed from a friend. Uses 3 of the lub bolts and connect to a center ring. Pressure is applied with the center bolt and a couple of sharp raps with a 2 1/2 # hammer and POP! Ebaty has sveral right now, definitely wortth the investment vs frustration and possible breakage

Posted on: 2019/2/9 14:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved