Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 198

SteveP516, Bingo, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

55-56 Senior Dash Screen Question (Mystery holes)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
All,

Last week the 400 has returned to the house fully painted! Finally! Reassembly now begins in earnest; and hopefully without going too broke $$$ in the process!

But I have a question. Today, the dash screen was placed back onto the dash, followed up by the instrument (ring)bezels & the thin stainless trim pieces that encirle the entire gold colored screen itself. The screen I put back into the 400 came from my parts 55 Patrician because it was a much nicer piece, but now I know that they are different because I found new holes that the old screen didn't have! Well much can be said about it being in the details, and in this case it is true, but my new screen has unknown grouping of (2) factory looking holes immediately between the clock and the right radio contol knob.

My parts Patrician wasn't of much help when I went back and looked at her dash, so I'm wondering if any of you all have an additional factory bezel in that area on any of you car? All my other bezels are accounted for so I'm wondering for what these holes were designed?

Thanks

Kevin
Tucson

Posted on: 2009/2/1 16:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 Senior Dash Screen Question (Mystery holes)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
P.S. Go Arizona Cardinals!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/1 16:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was nothing factory in either 55 or 6 to the right of radio except clock & according to pict in parts book, no holes behind screen either.

If it had factory air, holes were drilled & that knob was to be placed to the left of radio between lighter and radio, however if dealer installed, I believe there was enough space & don't think anything would prevent it from going on the right if desired. The actual switch mounted under the defroster channel and was connected to knob by a flex cable.

The dealer could have added something else also but can't think what it would be since there is a hole for just about everything already on driver side behind the screen.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
The current dash screen from my 400 is pictured. Looks like whatever it was it had a signature-styled Packard bezel!

KevinAZ
Tucson

Attach file:

jpg  (37.50 KB)
20_4987a32c4a7b8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.00 KB)
20_4987a3380b061.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.42 KB)
20_4987a345d3e9e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/2/2 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
probably some kind of aditional radio speaker control or other radio componnent. Look at the front bumper, does it have any holes drilled in the top of the bumper inboard of the torpedoes?????? Maybe a dealer installed fog hat switch.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 21:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree that it looks like a bezel was there and that is precisely what would be drilled on other side of radio for AC. Unless that was already an installed parts dash on the car you removed it from, there would undoubtedly be signs of AC so question is still what would work there and have a named bezel halfway appropriate.

Were all the other holes occupied by the normal switches? Seems like if it were a fog light switch, then it would be closer to driver in the space AC would be. Antenna is the only thing a passenger might like closer. Anything else radio or passenger related is already easily in reach. 'Tis a puzzlement.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 21:17
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Rear speaker switch?

Posted on: 2009/2/2 21:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Regular rear speaker fader is just above ign switch but maybe there was another PA type speaker added outside for those hectic tailgate parties.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.54 KB)
209_4987b3c2c1ab8.jpg 593X408 px

Posted on: 2009/2/2 21:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had answered you privately replying to your email, but I have a question regarding your info and the pics. You say you have an unknown grouping of (2) factory looking holes, but I only see one. Did you buy a stripped down dash, or do you have the complete parts car? If complete, what switches or controls are still in the Patrician from which you got the screen? Who sold you the parts car? Perhaps you can have a bezel made that says "Muffler Bearing Oiler".

Posted on: 2009/2/2 23:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This perhaps?

Attach file:

jpg  (3.82 KB)
1_4987d318b3ad4.jpg 103X129 px

Posted on: 2009/2/3 0:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved