Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

remi, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Best Road Trips for Packards & More
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Much of that road is still unpaved, at least from the quarry on. It's a slow drive unless you want some new paint chips!

Posted on: 2009/2/4 10:44
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for all the stories and pics!

I'll post this one again for the Western U.S. travelers.

Name That Road Second Time Around

(Hint, it's famous and has been mentioned on this thread.)

Attach file:

jpg  (50.42 KB)
917_498ba1317d98e.jpg 600X395 px

Posted on: 2009/2/5 21:33
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
"Bob's Road"

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/2/6 1:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The little know route 65?

All jokin aside, that looks like many of the orphaned sections of Route 66. Not sure if it was this way along other parts of 66, but in the stretches I ran across in the highdesert area of Calif, the 66 road asphalt was reddish. Not sure if they mixed something in with it to help in endure the heat of better. But I noticed that the stretches, even after 50 years, were still in pretty good shape.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 11:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Kev,

You are correct, sir! This is in Oklahoma, where, in spite of all the red clay, they used this nice, gray cement.. it's a little hard to see the expansion joints between each square of pavement, so I can understand some difficulty identifying it...

The following post moved from Big Kev's Progect Blog

Re Route 66

Several years ago I was traveling from MN to AZ and stopped at the Route 66 Museum in Clinton OK. I think almost anyone would enjoy that museum. They have much memorabilia, a film with lots of history, collector cars, etc. One of the nicest things they have is outside. It's one of the original cement mixers used on the highway--yes, they towed these things along and mixed the sections of good portland cement as they went. It is a long Rube Goldberg-ish contraption that is quite fascinating. I'm glad they put it out front, because without those machines and the crews that labored to lay down each section by hand, there would be no Route 66.

Also available at the Clinton museum is a little free "newspaper" publication that gives hints on how to find sections of the real "old road."

Some sections of the REAL Old 66 run just north and parallel to the blacktop of the so-called "Old 66". I kept looking to the right in that direction and noticed a flat area where there were several car tracks cutting across a weedy field.

I drove right off the blacktop and across the field about 1/4 mile to a very nice section of Old 66! One reason I think it hits those small towns is because it often runs right alongside of the RR tracks--another hint of how to find it, look for the tracks. The amazing thing is, although there were weeds growing in the expansion joints, the squares of cement pavement were PERFECT. No cracks at all to speak of.

One reason it's so hard to see these sections from the asphalt 66 is there are trees growing on both sides of the old road, draping right across it. I had my Dakota, which has been in the woods a lot, so I was determined to take it right through this canopy and really Drive Route 66 for a few hundred yards. It was an amazing experience, especially when you considered the people of Oklahoma just getting started on their journey in the Depression. I walked in the "ditch" between the road and the tracks and just imagined how many people changed tires, fixed engines, or just had picnic lunches there... it was like you could still feel them.

I have some pics somewhere and if you're interested will share some.

I'm sure the road marked as "Old Route 66" now goes over much of the real old road's pavement, but there are "virgin" slices of Route 66 like the one I found in quite a few places. Even the freeway kind of follows it, sometimes to the north, sometimes to the south--it crosses back and forth under the freeway, and there are exits for 66 marked occasionally that will put you on the "new old 66" but don't be fooled by cheap imitations, find the true Mother Road.

I'd like to do the Lincoln Highway some day too. Also, Highway 61 (revisited) goes through St. Paul near here, and that's another trip... Thunder Bay Ontario to New Orleans.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 18:07
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Here are the railroad tracks just to the north of that stretch of mother road Route 66.

View is to the West, of course.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.83 KB)
917_498cc35de7939.jpg 600X391 px

Posted on: 2009/2/6 18:10
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Guy, Highway US 30 is a lot like Route 66. Railroad tracks alongside for much of the way and old sections of the road and bridges every so often are visible. Also many ruts of the old Oregon and Mormon trails are still visible as are Pony Express stations such as the one at Gothenburg Neb. I have been planning a trip right across the US following US30 and realized when I was planning it that I had been over several sections in Pennsylvania, Ohio Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska already. The museum at Kearney that spans I-80 is very nicely done with a history beginning back in pre Columbus times to the present. If you are ever in the area it is a must see. I love following the old roads whenever I can.

Attach file:

jpg  (127.55 KB)
13_498cd21be5401.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (202.31 KB)
13_498cd3f186203.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/2/6 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Me, too. As I mentioned, the Lincoln Highway, which still has quite a few of the old original "Motor Courts" and pretty much follows its original route. Also, the River Road system goes most of the way down the Mississippi now.

You do see such interesting things, and meet nice people.

A couple of interesting things from Route 66 museum in Clinton OK:

Attach file:

jpg  (42.14 KB)
917_498dd0160e6e0.jpg 600X851 px

jpg  (35.76 KB)
917_498dd02dd1778.jpg 600X830 px

Posted on: 2009/2/7 13:17
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
"Like your pleasure big?"

Hmm, yes I do!

Posted on: 2009/2/7 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Turbo,

What the heck is Bob's Road? It looks dangerous with the tornado and all...

Posted on: 2009/2/7 22:56
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved