Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Help with hooking up an electric pump.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Is the need to have an electric fuel pump necessary? My two cars ('37 Six and '47 Custom) sit for weeks at a time, most times. A concern I have is for the dry engines to start on the first spin of the starter, before oil has been pressurized and circulated.

To start the '37 I run the starter, with the key off, for three or four short five second pulses. This is enough to indicate 15 or 20 lbs of oil pressure on the gauge. Then I turn on the key, depress the accelerator pedal once to set the automatic choke, and start the car.

The '47 is a little different because it has the starter switch on the carburetor and the key must be on to operate the switch. With the key on I run the starter like described for the '37, but do not completely lift or pump the accelerator pedal. Once I have gone through the starter pulsing, I pump the accelerator pedal two or three times, and the engine starts.

I do not have an electric fuel pump on either car and both run without any vapor lock or need for an electric fuel pump. I live in Austin, Texas and it does get hot down here. Both cars start with the first spin of the starter after they have been running or have been shut-off for a short time or even a day or two. To me starting a dry engine without getting oil circulating is asking for more rapid engine wear.

Something to consider...

Posted on: 2009/5/5 9:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
John-

I understand your concern about the engine running without oil; if you keep the RPMs low I think the oil will circulate quickly after starting.

Seems to me an old car that starts on the first turn of the engine APPEARS like a much better engine than one that needs to be turned many times before starting.

I agree high RPMs right after starting will cause problems, because oil hasn't had a chance to circulate.

What do you think of the low RPM idea of circulating oil vs. cranking without starting?

-Carl

Posted on: 2009/5/5 14:01
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Carl, I would say that whatever you can do to get as much oil circulating in the engine as soon as possible at the lowest rotation rate would be my preferred method. Cars driven frequently would not need the care in starting as those that sit for long periods of time.

Continuing with the electric fuel pump subject. Why complicate your life with an electric fuel pump if one is not needed? There may be situations where one is needed, but I think those would be rare.

As our dear friend Dave often states about electric fuel pumps, 12-volt conversions, electric radiator cooling fans, and other remedies: These things are work arounds for trying to solve a problem without dealing with the core issue. As an old mechanic friend of mine said about one of his peers: "He tends to fix things rather than repair them."

Keep up the work on your 300.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 9:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved