Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 229

DJP-37-120, kg911, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Help with hooking up an electric pump.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
I have a 52 300. I would like to hook up an Aux. electric pump as discussed elsewhere on this forum. Has anyone done this themselves, and where is the best place to tap in the fuel line?

My 52 has been sitting for a year, I am getting ready to crank her up, but also need to pump out the gas tank to see what condition the fuel is in. Where does someone get rid of stale fuel?

If I install a fuel pressure regulator, what is a good working psi to set it at?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Arizona
52 300

Posted on: 2009/2/2 10:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Help with hooking up an electric pump.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Electric fuel pumps are better at pushing than pulling, so preferable location for mounting is as close to the tank as possible. Typical fuel pressures should be in the range of about 3-1/2 to 5 p.s.i.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 10:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I've installed on a 54 & 56 right at the tank area. On the 54 bolted to frame rail and cut the tube there, and on the 56 on the angled front of trunk just below the "shelf" and only about 6" away from tank. If you choose anything on body, then some kind of sound insulator is important or a rotary pump that is quiet. If you are going to keep the original pump in system, then rotary not option without more plumbing. The original can't pull thru most rotary types so needs a check valve arrangement. Both locations work well as electric pumps push better than pull. Pressure should be 4-5psi. Also suggest a fuse and on-off switch and get the power from either the ign switch or aux feed breaker.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 10:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Thanks! I do intend on keeping the original pump. So...I guess I will have to tap into the line before the pump, then tap into the line after the pump..............correct?

And, I intend to use a switch on it. Don't want it running all the time.

I'll just be using one of those small purolator pumps.

Chuck

Posted on: 2009/2/2 16:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well you have two options.

If you buy a "flow-thru" type pump, which means that the machanical fuel pump is able to draw fuel through the electric when pump when it's off, then no special plumbing is required.

Otherwise you with need to plumb around (by-pass) the electric and have a check value in that by-pass or the electric wont really work as it will be pumping in circles you could say.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 16:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
There is an excellent article on this subject over at the Packard Club websitehttp://www.packardclub.org/. Look under Tech Tips found along the menu list of the right side of the home page to Electric Fuel Pumps article.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 17:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I drew this up really quick to help illustrate what we are talking about:

Attach file:

jpg  (62.74 KB)
1_4987703e69ed6.jpg 700X900 px

Posted on: 2009/2/2 17:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I very strongly suggest that you only use the electric pump to prime the car after prolonged standing. If you use it routinely to push thru the mechanical pump, if the mechanical pump diaphram begins to leak you'll just pump gasoline into the crankcase and ultimately do major engine damage. If you run of the mechanical pump alone you will get a warning if the pump begins to fail and thus you can attend to it before damage occurs.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Here's a direct link to the article Dave mentioned:

http://www.packardclub.org/html/electric-fuel-pumps.htm

Read this article, it agrees with what Owen and Kevin are saying above!

Now I need to go fix my electric fuel pump installation...

Any discussion on creating a separate return fuel line to the tank from a T fitting added to the main fuel line right before the carb? This allows the excess pressure to return to the tank, and to keep the fuel temperature low by thermal exchange with the cooler fuel in the tank.

There is a local packard limousine company that constantly puts the return fuel line in their daily drivers; the mechanic referenced today's fuels being so drastically different from the fuels in the 1950's that it is required to reduce vapor lock.

Nothing more frustrating than having a perfectly running car dead at an intersection because of vapor lock.

One further question - was there originally a heat shield to deflect the heat from the exhaust manifold away from the mechanical fuel pump?

Posted on: 2009/2/2 20:05
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
To get rid of stale fuel, that's a good question. My first inclination is to find a neighbor that has gas-powered lawn mowers or ATVs or the like and see if they want it. Remember to only use containers that are designed for fuel to transport that fuel...

2009/02/02 - 111 looters die as overturned Kenyan fuel tanker explodes

Posted on: 2009/2/2 20:25
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved