Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Melling oil pump comments??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I just bought my Melling pump and screen today. I would like to hear from the folks running this pump in their V8s as to their satisfaction, problems and comments. I have a good electric vacuum pump to mount also. I just have to find a place to put it. Perhaps below the vacuum tank on the driver's inner fender??

Posted on: 2007/6/11 0:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Melling oil pump comments??
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know which "Melling pump" u have but i have the Olds heavy duty version currently with 1800 miles logged and it is doing just fine.
Part of the pump has to be ground or filed away about 1/16 inch in order to allow for pan clearence. Other than that it is an excellent conversion that has performed well for me.

Do u have the adapter kit for installing the pump?????

Posted on: 2007/6/11 6:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Yes Keith, I bought the kit a while back but just bought the pump and screen yesterday. What needs ground away - the rearmost part of the pump??

Posted on: 2007/6/11 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Olds pump with cover removed and cut away Packard pan on V8 block.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.50 KB)
35_466d65780ca91.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2007/6/11 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Randy - Keith,

My conversion has yet to run. It was installed last year when I rebuilt my engine with CraigH in Nevada. We also went with a full flow oil filter instead of using the original. Craig tells me that as many a dozen of the adapters are out there now on 55-56 Packards and reports are positive.

I expect to paint my car in late summer/early fall; I'll get the engine in then and advise.

BTW......what ever changes CraigH made to the design, I have not had to shave or re-work the oil pan. The only thing CraigH advises is that I'll have to trim the oil dip stick an 1" to 1 1/2".

Kevin
Tucson

Attach file:

jpg  (34.55 KB)
20_466d68f51e18f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/6/11 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'd sure like to know what changes Craig made to eliminate the oil pan interference.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I too, bought the adapter from Craig recently, and intended to install it while the car was on ranps for clutch repair. The clutch job was finished last Saturday, and the Stude/Packard meets are next weekend in South Bend. With motel reservations this Sunday in South Bend, I didn't want to get in over my head. Long story short, the Melling will be a later project, after the meet. Though my engine's oil presure is fine, it has around 70,000 miles on the rebuild, so it may be a good idea to pull the pan and look things over. Besides, I just want to install a Melling because they are in style, and cool to have nowdays :)

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/11 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thus far NOONE has confessed to WHICH "Melling pump" (note quotation marks) they have except for me. Am i the only one with an Olds HD pump and the rest of u are using somekind of highly specialized Melling pump that i don't know about????

Posted on: 2007/6/11 21:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

I have Melling's M-22FHV pump and 22-FHVS screen kit.

I had purchased these for the '56 Pat that I intended to use as a fair weather driver, but have not yet installed them.

BH

Posted on: 2007/6/11 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Allow me to rephrase the question. Which AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATION of the Melling pump is everyone using????
As in FOrd????? Is it a Chevy????? Maybe a Yugo???

My point is that Melling is NOT the only aftermarket Olds pump manufacturer. This rudimentary and generic reference to "Melling pump" mite very well create ambiguity especialy into the future.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 22:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved