Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 216

William Grosz, Ross, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: High Oil Pressure...HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
at a slow idle is the oil pressure 100#s too???

Posted on: 2009/2/13 8:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
It is supposed to be a 55 engine,as far as the pee hole's,Im not sure!Where are they on the Rocker arm?The Pressure is 100+ @ slow Idle,instantly as soon as it's started!Where are you going with removing the valve cover,I also thought about no oil getting to the top end,but I fig. with 100 psi it should be,also I did blow compressed air,and solvent through oil galleries,oil pump pick up,and ETC prior to installing engine!!Are you thinking maybe the wrong R. arms possibly was installed causing It to block the flow to top end? Thanks for brainstorming with me!!!I will be home this afternoon and plan on digging into this thing hopefully It wont get the best of me...LOL!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/13 10:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
In regards to your lifter noise, have you reused the cam retainer plate? A guy is making new ones, he advertises in the CNB, about $75, but they are beautifully made, proper clearances and essential to upper end oiling.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 10:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
I don't think it is lifter's,I believe it is rocker arm chatter,sorry for the confusion!! I am wondering If I may have wrong Rocker Arm's or shaft's causing my high oil pressure or Is it the oil pump relief valve stuck as I orig. thought HMMMM?? Engine experts feel free to chime on in!!! THANK'S!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/13 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The idea is to do the ez things first. U mentioned a clatter noise. THAT raises eye brows. If rockers do not get oil then rockers will get noisey. This is true of ANY ohv engine. Removeing a valve cover is not difficult. Run the engine just at idle speed or even alittle faster with valve cover removed is not difficult. If the overhead is running dry then we go from there.
Overhead running dry could be due to a variety of problems. Plugged up rocker shafts, incorrectly modified rocker shafts (re: STB's) or other issues.

FIRST, lets see what kind of oil is issued from the overhead. Most likely the pump will ahve to be removed. In this particular case, or as u have described it, there is a slim chance that the problem is NOT the pump.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let us assume for the moment that oil is exuding from the rocker arms around the shaft thus getting at least some oil. When u run the engine with valve covers removed and can hear the clatter then place the palms of your hands on the pushrod end of the rocker arms and hold them down tite against the pushrods. Try to hold down as many rockers as is physicaly possible at the same time. Of course, exercise reasonable safety care when doing this. It's not real dangerous but i don't know what your coordination or experience level is relative to this kind of work. I've done it many times. This may require a lot of force. If the noise goes away then most likely it is lifter noise.

When u look for the oil eminating at the rocker arms and shafts try to determine if it is just a slight ooz, squirt or what. If u have EARLY 55 rocker arms it will or should squirt a magnicant stream of oil streight up and over the fender and land on the ground.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 12:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My take on proceeding is a bit different that PackardV8's. There is only one thing that can cause oil pressure that high, and that's a non-functioning oil pressure relief valve. Regardless of how much oil goes here or there it is irrelevant to that problem. I'd solve that problem first.

Also I'm not certain but I believe the comment that the later (56) rocker shafts had NO oil holes is incorrect, I believe the first step in controlling the top oiling was to plug specific but not all holes. Then later these were reduced in size. But I think all rocker shafts retained drilled holes for oiling. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
100 pounds at IDLE speed is rather magnificant oil pressure to say the least. That bothers me. The oil pressure relief valve is only designed to relieve so much pressuer. For example, suppose the output neck of the pump were completely sealed off and the relief valve operating correctly. IT still would not relieve enuf pressure to over come the high pressure condition.

Obviously he is getting enuf oil up the main rear verticle oil gallery to operate the gauge. But he's complaining of noisy rockers. So, we don't know if oil is reaching the main longitudunal galleries which actualy feed all of the engine except the rear main. i DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH HE RAN THE ENGINE under this condition if severe blockage does exist. In which case i suppose he should not run it all any more anyway.

So i'll agree Owen. Just pull the pump first. We'll worry about any oil gallery blockage after the pump is confirmed.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did this engine set around for 20 years with the oil pressure sending unit removed and the hole exposed????

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Yes engine did set 20+ years with oil switch removed,although I think It was covered,also I thoroughly cleaned with solvent and blew all that out,before I did anything!!I really don't believe any of that is blocked,although anything Is possible!I did verify that i have oil flow coming through the left longitudal gallerie when I pulled oil filt line's and blew through them!I have not yet pulled valve cover's and verified sufficient oil flow coming through shaft and rocker's,but i will after I correct oil pressure,If noise persist's!!As to my experience level,I am a certified diesel mechanic,I just have never had High oil pressure and rocker noise on the same engine!!Also this Is the first time I have ever worked on a Packard v8,so I know a lot of you guy's have far more experience as to the personality,and problem's that exist with these engine's,and I appreciate your help!!Well I guess It's time to go pull that D**n oil pan again!! I will advise on what I find,Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/13 16:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved