Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 216

RCJ56, tsherry, Don B, didatelogg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Flex fan/Clutch/ Electric fan retrofit?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Reading the Mechanix Illustrated road test of the 1952 Packard I noted that "Uncle Tom" McCahill mentioned that the cooling fan drew about 10HP from the engine at highway speeds when the fan is not necessary. Flex fans, electric fans and clutch fans have been around for decades and I have retofitted them on several of my modern cars over the years but has anyone found a model that will fit a straight eight Packard engine specifically a 356" engine like on my Super Clipper and if so how well did it work? It seems like it would be a good retrofit if it could save a few horsepower and put less strain on the water pump bearings as well as maybe save a bit of gas on highway trips.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 16:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Flex fan/Clutch/ Electric fan retrofit?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I installed a flex fan on my 38 six and have a little faster acceleration and better milage (about 2mpg)along with much better cooling at idle.No modifacations needed for the install,although it was tight.
You can check the parts x ref for 38 and the make and pn# are there.I did the research(hub size) online and found it at my local Kragen.Of course I saved the original.
RT

Posted on: 2009/2/13 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
RT-

Can you post a picture or two of your 38 six flex fan?

Thanks in advance.

_Carl

Posted on: 2009/2/14 1:12
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My recently purchased 2106 came with a 5-blade flex fan and an electric fan. I can't comment on the flex fan's performance as I have nothing to compare to. The electric fan does help bring the temperature down a few degrees, especially when idling.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 14:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Even though I've (luckily?) been immune to overheating problems with all my Packards for 45+ years, I can see some circumstances where an electric fan might be useful, like hot Southern climates, long, low-speed parades on hot days, and the like.

That said, those that find them nececessary in other circumstances should remind themselves that the need is masking some deeper problem which should be investigated before it gets worse or causes further and more serious problems. Using the electric fan is a bit like spraining your back splitting fire wood, going in the house for a good dose of Darvoset, and then going back out to finish the job.

There is another possible solution for the 51 and 53/54 Packards, that is finding a fan from a 1952. Due to Korean war restrictions on brass and copper alloy in the radiator, that year had a smaller radiator and a larger-capacity fan to compensate.

For the bathtub era, perhaps someone has tried installing the 5-bladed 356 engine fan on the 327 or 288. I don't know for a fact if it will fit the hub and have enough clearance, but it's an idea.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 14:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
JW, I would be interested in what model flex fan you have and if possible a photo.

Owen,I agree with what you wrote concerning the need for an electric fan. If I lived in a very hot climate I might consider one also. My interest in such a conversion is one of fuel saving and noise reduction since my Packard has not exibited any overheat problems even in parades. I am satified with the cooling of the original fan but on highway trips I would not mind even a small improvement in gas mileage and engine noise reduction if it would not otherwise affect engine cooling. The shows I attend are not judged for originality in any event so that is not a concern

Posted on: 2009/2/16 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
clipper47, I am visiting family and friends in New Mexico as I write this. I will look into the flex fan and get something back to you when I return to Austin. I agree with Owen on not to work around a problem with fixes, but instead do a proper repair.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 16:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, Many thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 16:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Agreed,this is not a bandaid fix.I was looking to get a little more from the six and the flex fan accomplished that with no mods.
Sorry for the delay with a response,I had to plow 2 feet of snow.(Sierra cement)

Attach file:

jpg  (47.92 KB)
555_499a14bbd7032.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (34.06 KB)
555_499a14ebedd6f.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2009/2/16 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not convinced that the flex fan saves an gasmileage or affords any better engine performance other than better cooling.

Power is required to flex the fan blades. That power has to come from somewhere i.e. the engine.

I run a flex fan here in middle Tn. becuase it moves more air or is supposed to move air.

If power and perfomance savings is required then a viscous fan conversion would be the best way to go.

Personaly, i would look for other ways to economy and performance unless heat is an issue. Try one heat range hotter on the plugs and a more free flowing muffler.

Posted on: 2009/2/16 21:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved