Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55-6 Vacuum wiper motor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Apparently, Packard engineers felt a second source was a good idea - enough that they added the balancing valve for a vacuum pump piggybacked on the oil pump. The idea behind it all was that as engine demand increased, manifold vacuum feel off, but as engine RPM increased, vacuum generated by the oil pump set-up would increase.

While AM engineers opted for their own oil pump for the Packard V8 installation, sans vacuum pump, they also used vacuum-driven wipers motors. Apparently they liked the balancing act, too, but turned to a dual-action fuel pump as the secondary source.

A 20K lifespan doesn't sound too bad on a car that isn't driven on a daily basis, yet I wonder if that's due to tired old rubber. As BigKev showed us in his article, the dual-action pumps aren't terribly hard to rebuild.

As for authenticity, I've seen more than one V8 Packard at a club show that was refitted with dual-action fuel pump to accommodate for retained vacuum wiper motor when the PI-modified pump was added.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 8:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-6 Vacuum wiper motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Brian, have you been into the Old Harper again?

Posted on: 2009/2/17 21:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved