Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 231

Tom (Packin31), Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: V8 Piston possibilities.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Based on rudimentary research the SBC 350 and SBC 400 pistons BOTH have the same compression height of 1.54 inch. So one rod fits both.

Yes, the OEM pistons have the same compression height, but no, the same OEM rod does NOT fit both. The 350" has a 3.48" stroke and the 400 has a 3.75" stroke and thus uses a .135" shorter rod.

FWIW. Keith Black catalogs pistons with correct compression heights to use 350" rods with 400" cranks and 400" pistons with 350" cranks.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/7 1:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I was not considering OEM rods wheather Chev or Packard or any other make.

I was considering custom made rods like the Olivers u mentioned BUT used in conjunction with off-the-shelf 350 chev pistons for the 352 Packard V8 and 400 chev pistons for the 374 Packard V8. Not custom made pistons.

Use the Chev pistons with Oliver or any other custom made rod in the 352 and 374 engines. Since both Chev 350 and Chev 400 pistons have the same compression hieght then ONE custom made rod with Chev pistons should fit BOTH 352 and 374 Packard V8 applications.

** this post edited for clarity **.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 7:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Ah, yes,
Quote:
Based on rudimentary research the SBC 350 and SBC 400 pistons BOTH have the same compression height of 1.54 inch. So (when used in a Packard V8)one (custom)rod fits both.
with the added information in parenthesis, now I understand your hypothesis.

BTW, that custom rod would be 7.315" long.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/7 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes Jack. Thank u for clearing that up. I'll use your correction to edit the post i made.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 14:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
HUMMM Interesting. i didn't tink 'bout the lowly 'ol little block chebby in that light. HEY Jack! if this will work like this, Then forged, hyper's or cast pistons could be used! and at a fraction of the cost of aftermarket pistos for packards! AND the little blocks should be a lot lighter! What you think?

Posted on: 2009/3/9 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Custom forged pistons + stock rods = $800
Custom forged 7.315" rods + catalog forged SBC pistons = $2000

Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/9 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How about just custom rods equal to or slightly stronger than Packard rods and off-the-shelf chevy pistons????

How fast do i want to go. In my car about 4000-4200 rpm at the max. Usualy in the 2700-3500 rpm range. That's about 70 - 90 mph. I'm not racing, definately do NOT need forged pistons.

The custom rods only need to be as good as or slightly stronger than OEM Packard rods. The custom rods do not need to be strong enuf for a dual engine nitro burning dragster.

Would that drop the price from $2k to maybe $1700 ????

Posted on: 2009/3/9 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
jv ASKED: "Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?"

I nor many other Packard owners do NOT need more speed. The stock 352 or 374 is just fine for all aspects of Interstate performance.

MY question is why have PARTS FLEXIBILITY limitations????

If i understand the current attempt by one of the major vendors correctly then the pistons will be only available in SETS. Only available in std thru .030 oversize.

BUT, if custom Rods are available for the Packard V8 to allow the use of off-the-shelf chevy pistons then that opens a very wide range of possibilities for engine building and maintenace and cost savings AND SOLVES THE ROD BEARING AVAILABILity pROBLEM.

No???

Posted on: 2009/3/9 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Guess I've missed something, I wasn't aware of any rod bearing availability problem, please bring me up to date.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 22:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2009/3/9 22:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved