Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Tappet Clearance Tool J-4540? Valve Guide Driver J-2577?
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
I didn't do much experimentation with the pneumatic tool. I have issues with how loud the compressor is and trying to keep the neighbors happy. But it truthfully didn't feel like it had enough oomph.

One other thing you might do is remove the studs before you do this, that would make it easier and you wouldn't have to stack the blocks so high so that they protect the studs from being hit by the hammer.

Makes sense, the pneumatic driver might keep them going once they are broke free, but probably takes a few heavy hits to get them broke free to start with.

I have an idea for a way to protect the block and hold the driver at the same time. I'll post a pic sometime.

Can't wait to get these guides replaced! Then I can get my engine put back together.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2023/7/31 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Picked up my driver from the machine shop today and FedEx dropped off some parts. Time for some fun.............I hope!

Attach file:

jpg  driver & guides.jpg (55.23 KB)
226104_64c9a277b27c4.jpg 701X526 px

Posted on: 2023/8/1 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I can't say enough about how amazing this driver is that the machine shop made for me!

The jig that holds the driver in just the right position, while protecting the engine, was defiantly an asset as well.

Right tools for the right job! Made removing the valve guides easy, and I'm so glad they are out. New valve guides are in the deep freeze!

Attach file:

jpg  driver.jpg (36.66 KB)
226104_64c9ed879cc61.jpg 296X594 px

jpg  driver jig.jpg (46.14 KB)
226104_64c9ed93e663d.jpg 450X600 px

jpg  broken guides.jpg (56.05 KB)
226104_64c9eda81d937.jpg 450X600 px

Posted on: 2023/8/2 0:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Looks fantastic!

Posted on: 2023/8/2 1:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Looks fantastic!

It worked so well! No breaking, no mushrooming, no getting stuck in the guide or the bore. I'm not sure what they made this driver out of, but it is excellent quality!

With my jig to hold the driver I was able to use my 5 lb sledge and it only took about 12 moderate hits for them to be over 1/2 out so I could snap them off and then I could just use my 2 lb hammer and tap the other part out.

I'm sure the new ones will slide right in! I'll find out tomorrow!

Posted on: 2023/8/2 1:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
To make a short story long. Years ago I had a 39 Cadillac 60 Special with the 346 cu. in. V8 engine. It needed new exhaust valves and one exhaust valve guide. I went on the Cadillac-LaSalle website for advice. There were horror stories, involved and complicated procedures on how to remove and install guides. None of this was encouraging me to do the job. That said, I ordered a new set of valves and a guide. I had a machinist make me a guide driver tool (similar to the ones O_D posted in his photo). I took a small sledge and used it to tap on the tool in the guide. Easy at first, just to see what would happen. To my surprise, the guide moved and a couple of more taps and it was out. I chilled the new guide in the freezer and was able to easily drive it in. I guess I was the exception, but glad the job turned out so easy and successful.

Posted on: 2023/8/2 12:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
On my 327 I know that when using Gauge 4540 my clearance should measure .030"-.070"

If my clearance measures less than .030" I'm guessing that the lifter is not able to function correctly, not enough travel. Does anyone know how much under .030" would it need to be to cause issues, such as lifter noise? .024"???

TIA

Attach file:

png  Gauge 4540.PNG (92.89 KB)
226104_64cb3c31837e9.png 325X285 px

Posted on: 2023/8/3 0:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Ross said earlier to this same question from me, "those clearance specs are good".

That being said, anything under can lead to lifter noise especially at hot idle, from what I understand, since as the valves and everything else gets hot and lengthens it does not have enough room to pump up. This was only from reports from others, though.

You've gone this far, why not "do it once do it right", as Kanter says. I tried the same basic thought as yourself when I measured some valves down close to .030", and subsequently have had problems with lifter noise at hot idle, with brand new valve guides and lifters.
I recently measured them all very carefully and took them down to the machine shop, the machinist shortened my valves while I waited, set them to between .040 and .050 clearance, eg halfway. I hope mine works, haven't had the time to finish the job, but at least my experience so far has been that valves at or below the low end of the clearance can be a source of trouble.

It's so much trouble to replace a head gasket and associated work to take off the tire and the fender cover and a valve, and my machinist spent so little time trimming the valves he did it for free. Why not do the best job you can right now?

Posted on: 2023/8/3 3:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Ross said earlier to this same question from me, "those clearance specs are good".

That being said, anything under can lead to lifter noise especially at hot idle, from what I understand, since as the valves and everything else gets hot and lengthens it does not have enough room to pump up. This was only from reports from others, though.

You've gone this far, why not "do it once do it right", as Kanter says. I tried the same basic thought as yourself when I measured some valves down close to .030", and subsequently have had problems with lifter noise at hot idle, with brand new valve guides and lifters.
I recently measured them all very carefully and took them down to the machine shop, the machinist shortened my valves while I waited, set them to between .040 and .050 clearance, eg halfway. I hope mine works, haven't had the time to finish the job, but at least my experience so far has been that valves at or below the low end of the clearance can be a source of trouble.

It's so much trouble to replace a head gasket and associated work to take off the tire and the fender cover and a valve, and my machinist spent so little time trimming the valves he did it for free. Why not do the best job you can right now?

@JeromeSolberg
I'm thinking the same, I think I'll get a few ground down. After all, this "little" project is the result of me deciding to open up my engine to find the source of a noise. I'd hate to not get it fixed, or for another noise to appear after driving a couple thousand miles.

Thanks for your input! 👍🏻

Posted on: 2023/8/3 8:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved