Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1942 "160" HORN RING REMOVAL
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
How do you remove the horn ring? Most of the time you just push in and turn and it will come off. I am doing that an no luck. There must be another way. Can't find any info on how to do it. Can you give me any advice?
Lee
p.s. I may have to remove the steering wheel also as I want to get to the directional signal mechanism.

Posted on: 2020/10/1 14:20
 Top  Print 

Re: 1942 "160" HORN RING REMOVAL
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe but will not swear to it that the 42 models all used a similar wheel to the 46-7 models. If that is so look at the rear of the wheel and see if there are 3 small holes in the plastic hub for screws that thread into the horn ring from the back side. If you find some then removing them will let the ring come free. The emblem parts in those wheels are held by a chrome retaining piece with tabs that fit into slots in the horn ring and then bent over.

If you have the deluxe or banjo type wheel with a metal hub, when removing the screws make sure you account for the plastic insulating spacers in the holes as well as a paper insulating gasket on the horn ring side.

Here is a breakdown of the 46-7 wheel.

Attach file:

jpg  (152.46 KB)
209_5f762f5b5f267.jpg 1250X960 px

Posted on: 2020/10/1 14:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
To HH56
Thank you so much for the excellent help. I will try to remove the steering wheel tomorrow since that seems to be the only way to get at the turn signal assy below the wheel.
Lee

Posted on: 2020/10/2 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information

Posted on: 2020/10/4 7:30
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved