Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear trunk Packard Clipper trim
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
How is the Packard Clipper script held onto the rear1953 trunk lid? Speed nuts? Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  (44.36 KB)
157631_5f88fa80ee66a.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2020/10/15 20:42
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear trunk Packard Clipper trim
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Speednuts and most likely the round style although some rectangle types have been found. Book calls for a total of 6 so probably 3 on each script. There should also be a thin rubber washer used as a water and dust seal under the nut next to the trunk metal.

Be very gentle in removing the speednuts and try to relieve the bite of the tangs on the stud before trying to remove it or there is a good chance the stud will break off the potmetal. I have found that using the 90 degree pointed end of a scribe usually works to get under one of the tangs and lifting it up slightly is enough to free the nut from the stud. Unless the speednut is badly rusted the tang can be bent back down for reuse.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.26 KB)
209_5f89069411b8b.jpg 540X154 px

jpg  (7.08 KB)
209_5f89073e3f974.jpg 668X166 px

Posted on: 2020/10/15 21:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Speed nuts for the trunk script are the barrel type that press in to the mounting holes and the pins on the script are lined up and pushed into place.

Posted on: 2020/10/15 22:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Speed nuts for the trunk script are the barrel type that press in to the mounting holes and the pins on the script are lined up and pushed into place.

Learned something new and that would explain the change in part number from 26th series to 54th. I had thought it might be a size difference on the speednut rather than going from tubular to flat. The 54 and 56 cars I have worked on had the flat round style.

Getting the pins out of the tubular style without having them pull off the pot metal script or emblems will be interesting. I have no suggestions and have not had much consistent luck in pulling the pieces off where they used tubular in other places. One might pull out fairly easy and the next one over refuses to budge. Hope someone has a proven method they can share and if not, maybe your luck will be better than mine.

Posted on: 2020/10/16 8:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved