Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Neutral Safety Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
the 1956 Studebaker shop manual covers the switch removal installation and setting The section covering the Flightomatic transmission page 49 manual is in Packard info

Posted on: 2022/11/11 15:50
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Same problem on my 400, it will turn over only in Park, not Neutral.

I just ignore the problem, to be honest.

The Stude manual has a decent description and Packard & Stude were trying to combine some components to cut down on inventory. The short or half length steering column used in 56 Packards is an example that might have been one of the successes. It is very similar if not identical to what is shown in the 56 Stude service manual.

No idea if Stude managed to use the same switch and mechanical engagement as in the 55-6 Packard but the Packard version has a limited adjustment and is somewhat sensitive to linkage wear. Since the switch also controls the reverse lights that switch portion is activated at the opposite end of the lever movement so the adjustment with P & N spot is a compromise and critical. It could be the adjustment is right at the edge or it could be the linkage is worn and with detents actually being in the trans, there is enough slop in the linkage that when it detents at neutral the switch is past the active contact area.

Posted on: 2022/11/11 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

kevindale
See User information
Quote:

Gar wrote:
I have a 57 that will not start in neutral. I checked my wired connection and they appear to be OK. Is there anything that I should look at before I keep trying to find a new switch?

I have been looking for the switch 534390 for about a month now...
(57 with auto, ps, pb)

Thanks

There should only be 1 bushing on the Selector Shaft Arm on the transmission.

Under the Battery Box, where the switch mounts on the steering column, there is a 5/16 headed bolt on each side of the Switch, the switch is slotted where the bolts go through, allowing for SOME adjustment. I have mine set about in the middle with a New Rubber Bushing on the Selector Shaft on the Transmission.

The hole in the shifter arm comming off the steering column does not take a bushing, and can get really sloppy, but unless someone has tampered with the shift rod, you really shouldn't need to adjust much, try the selector shaft bushing 1st.

Posted on: 2023/1/20 5:41
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved