Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spring wrapping
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

My springs are back from the spring shop, nicely re-arched. Now they need to be blasted, etc and new covers made. I remember reading someplace that the springs should be wrapped in canvas before covering them. Is this true? Do I need to have canvas, greased, between each leaf? And finally, what is the best grease to use?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Tom

Posted on: 2009/3/6 13:07
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Spring wrapping
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The leaves were meant to be lubricated by the run-off from the Bijur oiling at the shackle bolts which then runs down inside the metal gaiters to keep the leaves wet; the grease I've always assumed was just a "start-up" lubrication until such time as the Bijur supplied enough. Assuming that's the case and I believe it is, I don't think there is anything critical about the choice - probably just plain old chassis grease is as good as anything else. But I'd not use heavy gear oil because it might not stay in place long enough, as you know the drip rate from the Bijur is mighty slow.

The wrapping I've seen on original springs looks like a cross between burlap and canvas, but a tighter weave than burlap. Again, I doubt it's critical. As to the metal gaiters, I only know of one shop in the US that has the patterns and makes them, but I think he usually has the spring at hand and custom-fits them (though I'd inquire about getting sets shipped to you is you wish - PM me if interested). If you've got a handly tin-knocker you could probably do it yourself, there are pictures in the parts book to show the general shape and # of sections. But I also think that good British standby of leather gaiters would be fully functional though not authentic and perhaps not as long-lasting.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

Thanks tons for the information. The shop here is reproducing the gators based on the old ones.

So were the springs wrapped around with the canvas like material, or was the material between each leaf?

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on: 2009/3/6 13:22
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No wrapping between leaves (wouldn't last long, would it?)! Just around the exterior. Perhaps the major purpose was to eliminate any noise resulting from the metal covers and the metal springs coming into contact?

Posted on: 2009/3/6 13:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I'm not sure if the inter-leaf canvas would last or not. I have seen springs with that sort of arrangement, I think it was brass era car, maybe a REO?

I agree that the cloth would might help reduce the noise of the metal against metal, and it might also help to wick the oil from the Bijur system along the springs.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 14:18
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
springs with that sort of arrangement

Yes, woven welting not too unlike body welting, I've also seen it on some very early brass-era cars. From just prewar thru about 1950 Packard used anti-friction metallic alloy buttons, I think I've posted the patent on that before, different alloy and coefficient of friction for each interleaf pair. And some years after Packard passed plastic interleaves became common.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 14:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave,

Do you know of anyone, or have you tried, the Poly-Slide product that is sold by Restoration Supply? It is described as "Channel shaped poly sheets [sic] inserts between spring leaves for a permanent smooth right. Thickness 0.040""

Just curious.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/3/6 14:37
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I'm aware of materials like that but haven't used it myself and don't know anyone else who has. If you decide to try it, let us know what your experiences are.

PS - and you're probably right about the wicking properties of the wrap, I'd not thought of that.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 15:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

todd jordan rayner
See User information
my customer was asking me about wrapping the springs an his 1938 twelve convertable. were these wrapped? what did it look like? metal thickness? pics?

Posted on: 2009/3/29 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You could look in either the parts manual or the shop manual for the answer, I believe both are available here, why not just download them for future reference?

To quote the Twelve section of the 1938 shop manual, "rear suspension springs are conventional semi-elliptical equipped with metal covers."

Posted on: 2009/3/29 12:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved