Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: How Good is '55 Non-TL Suspension?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
seems you didn't get an answer to your engine question yet...

all '56 Clippers and Executives were advertised with the 352 engine. Deluxe (5640-5622) and Super (5640-5642 and 5640-5647) shared the lower-compression 240 HP variant. Customs (5660-5662 and 5660-5667) and Executives (5670-5672 and 5670-5677) had 275 HP with higher compression and, when i rembember correctly, other carburetion.

designtions "Constellation" and "Panama" were deleted for 1956.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 4:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Going back to the transmission discussion, another one to consider is the pre-1955 Packard, with or without overdrive. This is also a bolt-up change. The complicating thing with the column shift versions is the need for idler levers (bell cranks) to get the correct movement direction for the shift linkage. Of course, the floor shift versions, pre-1939, would not have this problem.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 10:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I was talking about the conventional suspension. It was as smooth and comfortable as other cars in its size and price class such as Buick,Oldsmobile, Chrysler, Cadillac or Lincoln.

But more stable than the GM makes at high speeds. The Cadillac and Buick were at their best at 60 or below. Above 80 they were a handful to keep on the road.

Packard was very stable at high speeds. So was the Lincoln, and so was Chrysler after they got the torsion bar suspension in 1957.

This was all the conventional coil spring/leaf spring cars. Packard torsion level cars were especially creamy and could handle bad potholes and railroad crossings easily, even ones that would bottom out a conventional car with a crash.

GM's air ride cars were roly poly jello pots for handling. The air bags didn't even do that much for the ride. And they were a nightmare to keep in repair. That is why they dropped the air suspension so quickly. Most of the air bags were changed over to steel springs.

Packard torsion level was probably the best luxury car suspension in the world at that time. Chrysler's torsion aire came second. Both could equal or beat the competition in soft ride without sacrificing stability or road holding.

Of course this was a long time ago and there is such a thing as progress. Even so any Packard in good shape should have a very acceptable ride and handling - taking into account the size and age of the car.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 23:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Uncle did do circle track with the packard v/8's. i recently found a studebaker lowery coupe stock car in a local salvage yard that was NOT a factory packard powered golden hawk. it did however have a packard/golden hawk engine in it. if i can get the photos scanned i'll post them.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
According to my packard parts manual, ALL 56's are high compression engines. some very early 56's did still wear "Constellation" and "Panama" scripts. i almost bought an unrestored 56 "Constellation" some where i have photos of it too.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
they did use different carbs on the custom and execs. carters on the delux and super. and those damn rochesters on the rest.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i agree john. except i'm up for doing the top loader conversion on the 51-54 trans and put that behind the v/8 if you want to keep the car all Pack.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Found the pics, i'll have to try to get them on here. i was wrong on the 56. it wore "panama" scripts. all 56's show one part # for the heads. 55's show two. low compression for the clippers, high compression for the clippers, and high compression for the Packards. The high compression # is the same for both. the service manual shows all 55's as 8.5:1 which is strange. it says that there is an "optional" head for the sr's. 56 all clippers 9.5:1 packards 10:1

Posted on: 2009/4/3 19:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are the two head numbers for 55 Clippers the cast dome vs machined dome. 1955 Service counselor 29 #7 has the details.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
I don't know. my s/c's a stored where i can't get to them to check that info.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 20:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved