Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 water pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
I ended up purchasing this water pump without much info other than it fit my year Packard and that it was NORS. Thought maybe the internal bearing would be less of a hassle than the bushing. Anyone know who manufactured these? There's no numbers stamped on it other then the 2 on the front and the L in the back. The shaft also needs to be pressed out forward about an 1/8", so wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this style. Thanks in advance

Attach file:

jpg  20211020_105741.jpg (142.31 KB)
200605_617058eb34485.jpg 1440X1099 px

jpg  20211020_105808.jpg (151.17 KB)
200605_617058ffc9911.jpg 1440X1093 px

jpg  20211020_105721.jpg (170.01 KB)
200605_6170590cd8e3a.jpg 1440X1100 px

Posted on: 2021/10/20 12:55
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 water pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Groucho

I don't have a prewar car so I cannot be certain of this. The vanes on that pump look very feeble to me. I know Kanter spent the money to have repros made for this epumps when the cores dried up.

I have put two of their 356 pumps and for a 288 on my cars with good results. You might also check with Gould rebuilders and Merritt, they might have some some on the shelf.

It is a little effort to put one on, and I wouldn't want to do it twice because it wasn't adequate . I have had to replace a good pump because someone else tightened the belt too much. The price for rebuilding and the price for a good repro seem to be close.

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2021/10/20 21:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

John Harley wrote:
Groucho

I don't have a prewar car so I cannot be certain of this. The vanes on that pump look very feeble to me. I know Kanter spent the money to have repros made for this epumps when the cores dried up.

I have put two of their 356 pumps and for a 288 on my cars with good results. You might also check with Gould rebuilders and Merritt, they might have some some on the shelf.

It is a little effort to put one on, and I wouldn't want to do it twice because it wasn't adequate . I have had to replace a good pump because someone else tightened the belt too much. The price for rebuilding and the price for a good repro seem to be close.

Best

John Harley

Thanks John. Yes I've had one rebuilt twice already (under warranty of course so I paid for the initial price only). However shipping it back twice does surely add up! I was hoping that this latest one I got would've worked out for me and I liked that it had the internal bearing vs the bushings.

Posted on: 2021/10/20 23:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Groucho

So how do the vanes on that pump look like compared to your other pump?

John

Posted on: 2021/10/21 8:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

John Harley wrote:
Groucho

So how do the vanes on that pump look like compared to your other pump?

John

The vanes on this pump which are on the underside, are a little "beefier" than my other pump.

Posted on: 2021/10/21 19:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved